Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

CV axles keep breaking! Why???

Old 04-19-2019, 02:07 PM
Starting Member
Ian Seals is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Hess13x
Can you post some pics of CV angles and maybe just some of the front end. Maybe someone can see something that might be causing it.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:21 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by DonL
I'm wondering how exactly they are breaking? Coming out, losing rollerpins,boot tearing? You might need to get a heavier duty or custom longer one...
Most of the time the boot breaks.it has fresh axles in it now I can drive it straight down the road and hear the axles grinding.

When I turn the wheels, it gets worse. Louder. I feel like turning the wheels is pulling them apart.

Also I feel I should mention the passenger side has broken 3 times, driver side I think only once.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:37 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Are there options for heavy duty cv axles? I've searched and searched, can't find anything. RCV will make custom cv, but for the $1600 or so they get for a set, you're well into a really nice SAS
That's the kind of info i'm looking for. I assume Zr2 axles won't work.

Here's some interesting info for anyone having the same problem:
I got tired of continuously breaking parts-store axles and stole a stock axle from my buddy's 2000 S10, and put it in the passenger side, just to see what happens, and it hasn't broken yet. It still grinds I think, but It's outlived 3 $90 parts-store axles.

So i went to the local chevy dealership, $600 EACH! I said f--- that. Maybe someone online knows where to find custom axles? But before I go fool around with more axles, I wanted to pick some minds, see if maybe the axles aren't the problem?

So here I am 🤔

Old 04-19-2019, 03:07 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Maybe it's just the pic, but it looks like the. Cv joint has about a 45° angle to it. If it's really that steep, no wonder your axles are dying

Also, if it's the boot tearing, maybe all the grease is getting slung out, which leads to the early death. Maybe there's something that's out of place that's tearing them?

Last edited by cleburne red; 04-19-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:12 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

So to me, I'm not sure if the picture is straight, but it looks like you top and bottom ball joints are not lining up, and your CV axle is at a HIGH angle. I'm wondering if the boot is catching on something, pre-wearing it and cutting them, causing everything to come out and go in. Maybe an option of putting a second boot over a new axle, and double check to see if you have any run on the bolts... I know the upper control arm ball joints from the RC Kits are long, and could run, mine almost hit the clamp.

Old 04-19-2019, 04:16 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DonL
So to me, I'm not sure if the picture is straight, but it looks like you top and bottom ball joints are not lining up, and your CV axle is at a HIGH angle. I'm wondering if the boot is catching on something, pre-wearing it and cutting them, causing everything to come out and go in. Maybe an option of putting a second boot over a new axle, and double check to see if you have any run on the bolts... I know the upper control arm ball joints from the RC Kits are long, and could run, mine almost hit the clamp.
So the joints are coming/pulling apart? Plenty of people have the 2.5 RC lift without this issue. I have had the boot on the inner joint pull off but never the joint.

Is there excessive travel in front end? I'd suggest getting the installation directions for the lift kit and compare how it was installed to what it says in the directions.

Old 04-20-2019, 01:16 PM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

I'll get a pic of my CV angles. I know I'm pushing past the limit. I would have to say the boots are rubbing on something. I have a couple holes I need to patch on mine again. Self vulcanizing rubber electrical tape works great lol

Old 04-20-2019, 04:45 PM

Here's mine.

My angles are bad! But I've only had to replace one in 5 years

Old 04-20-2019, 05:00 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Holy crap, hess! That's rediculous!

Looks like a little rub on the sway bar, also!

Old 04-20-2019, 05:14 PM

Yeah they are a little extreme lol. 31/10.50 on stock rims rub the frame and swaybar. Switching to 2wd wheels soon. With 33/12.50 or possibly 35's