Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Front End Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 09:51 PM
weaves is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Front End Issue

2001 Jimmy 4x4 113xxx KM

Didn't have this issue when i bought it 4-5 months ago... im trying to sell it and this problem has arised and this turns any buyer away...

So i find out that the notorious front wheel bearings are gone ... no biggie i was expecting them to anyways...

My huge and stressful problem with this POS though is when its in 4x4.

At higher speeds you don't notice it, but when going slower and turning the wheel (in 4x4) its sluggish kinda like it doesn't want to go.... and kinda jerks...

If you were to take your foot off the pedal you would slow right down.

I understand when in 4x4 when the wheel is cranked it maydo such things but sure as hell not as aggressive as this.

I don't know how to describe it but it wasn't there when i bought thetruck so i know its not normal...

Could my wheel bearings do this...? Transfer case fubard?

For sure my passenger wheel bearing is gone. My mech said the driver is on its way out to though...

Any suggestions...

Edit: What about cv or ball joints?

x2: Also last night potential buy had it in 4x4... he was backing up into a parking spot... so the wheel was turned made some weird noises and was sluggish had to use gas to move it at all...

But once he straightened out it still took a lot to back up.... no weird noises just abnormal amount of throttle to back up .... if you were to put it in 2wd it would be fine...

He called me today, and i guess he talked to a mech and said my transfer case is on its way out!

WTF!

help? anyone?

Old 02-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Starting Member
Bigringtravis is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Front End Issue

Trans case doesn't effect the front axle. You have the same front axle case I do and if you are not on slick terrain, it will bind and can even hop the front wheels. This is what you want offroad - both front wheels locked and turning at the same speed left side and right side.

I also recommend putting the truck into four wheel drive one a month to keep the fluid moving around! Mech told me to do that!

Old 02-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

When you have the truck in 4wd, the solid coupling in the transfer case requires the front and rear drive shaft speeds to be identical. When you turn, all four tires typically take different paths, meaning different speeds. The illustration on the first page from How Stuff Works - Differentials shows the different paths taken on a simple turn. As you can see, the rear tires take a noticeably smaller combined radius as compared with that of the front. Without a center differential in the transfer case, the drive train will bind. On dry asphalt, it will be quite noticeable.

The front axle has a standard open differential, albeit with a disconnect in the passenger side axle tube so the axle itself does allow for different speeds side to side much the same as the rear so long as the vehicle does not have an after market rear diff or RPO code G80.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:59 PM

^^^ yes it was on dry pavement... so the binding is normal?

Hmm i guess i never really noticed it all that much.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

My K5 is about impossible to turn with on dry pavement when locked in 4wd. It crab walks all over the place until I pull it out of lock (full time 4wd transfer case).

Old 02-08-2009, 09:36 AM

hm OK well that solves some of my headaches...

-

What about when your in 4WD, dry payment, and reversing going back straight...

Does it feel like your really got to give her gas, kinda like the e-brake is on slightly...

Is that normal?

Old 02-08-2009, 09:53 AM

Well i just talked to a friend with 4wd and he says his Colorado does the same...

Well ill just replace the wheel bearings like i originally planned and not worry about that issue.

Thanks guys

Old 02-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Administrator

When in reverse and going straight, you should experience no binding. If you do, it could mean that the brakes are not adjusted properly or you have a wheel cylinder leaking. But that really applies to the older drum brake setups, not the disc setup that your truck has.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:58 PM

Not the brakes, it doesnt do it in 2WD.