Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

how do you disconnect drivetrain for towing

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 04:35 PM
MountainMermaid is on a distinguished road
Default how do you disconnect drivetrain for towing

1995 S10 Blazer LT sat for 11 yrs. Transmission is bad. Need to tow with a strap to a new location to be worked on (can't get a trailer out there due to road condition.) Note: When it is in N, it acts like it is in D and moves forward with out pushing the gas pedal (all wheels rolled). We started the engine (for power steering) and put it in R to try to tow it backwards (away from a wall). The back two tires locked and wouldn't roll. Also, it seems to be stuck in 4 wheel Low. How do you disconnect the drive train? Will this help unlock the wheels for towing? Any tips or special instructions with regard to this procedure? Found general instructions online. Requires a transmission plug. Where do I get one? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Old 11-06-2014, 05:02 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

If the transmission is locked up then the best option is to disconnect the rear drive shaft. It unbolts at the rear axle really easy, then you just wrap the u-joint caps so they don't fall off, and suspend the drive shaft from the frame. Doing this all 4 corners should free-wheel.

If it's locked in 4x4 and won't disengage then you could do the same with the front drive shaft too.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:23 PM
MountainMermaid is on a distinguished road

Thank you for responding. I love your blazer, especially the color! It looks like it's getting newer and newer.

Old 11-06-2014, 10:34 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

It would be nice if our t-cases had a "neutral" position. Seems like that would solve the problem.

I'm not sure, but think I remember reading somewhere that you can manually engage N from the linkage under the vehicle. But, there's no detent for it, so it seems like it could get bumped around enough to slip into gear.

Probably best to just disconnect the drive shafts, like beautor said