Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

How It Works: GM/Eaton G80

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 05:31 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How It Works: GM/Eaton G80

My new silverado has the G80 locker in it and I knew a little bit about it but really didnt know how it was put together and under what conditions it works. So i did a little searching and found this video on youtube (presumably put out by Eaton) that explains in detail just how it works. Take a look. LINK

Old 05-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: How It Works: GM/Eaton G80

Never thought to look on YouTube for that! LOL I had seen that video quite a few years ago just not with the new silverado in the beginning. Definitely good stuff!

You can see where the weaknesses of the G80 come from in that video! Good for casual offroad, but start hammering on things and that cross shaft will snap rendering the diff open.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:02 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

So G80=traction at low speeds, not good for burnouts above 20mph. Good to know...

Old 05-11-2008, 07:13 PM

ORIGINAL: TripleBlackBlazer

So G80=traction at low speeds, not good for burnouts above 20mph. Good to know...

I wouldnt exactly say that. I've layed down a good set of tracks doing a brakestandreally getting both tires going.I would venture to say that they were probably spinning above 20mph.

I see what you mean kyle about that cross shaft. I kinda wondered about that guy when i saw the video and went...."So that little sheep s*** thing is what gets hammered on when that engages?!?!" Oh well, my truck is only seeing street and towing use so i guess i wont have to worry about that grenading on me anytime soon.

Though speaking of which, im reading here and there that the G80's need a special gear lube or that it can only take synthetic. Any truth to that or would you know at all Kyle?

Old 05-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Not true. Any GL-5 gear lube works.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:25 PM

Aha, i kinda figured as much. Especially since nearly all of the places citing the need for the "special gear lube" were citing the Texaco lube with the GM part numbers. Sounded a little odd. So Mobil 1 gear lube it will be next time it gets serviced, WOOT!

Old 05-11-2008, 09:39 PM
jphayes921 is an unknown quantity at this point

there is also a mod for the G80
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=25829

Old 05-12-2008, 01:00 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Problem with that mod is that if you going down the road at 50 mph, you put the back wheel off the shoulder, hits mud/dirt, slows down, it locks in the other side...

Puts you in a tail spin at 50 mph...yikes...

Old 05-12-2008, 01:14 PM

ORIGINAL: WolfPack

Problem with that mod is that if you going down the road at 50 mph, you put the back wheel off the shoulder, hits mud/dirt, slows down, it locks in the other side...

Puts you in a tail spin at 50 mph...yikes...
Its not as bad as you would think. The jeep that i got my tires from had aussie lockers front and rear (similar design though much stonger) and it had a tendancy to bite while at speed and if he was being a dink and doing much of what you described there. Causes the vehicle to lurch a little bit but so long as you got a good grip on the wheel it keeps on track.

My problem with the G80 mod is that cross shaft. I dont think it can handle that kind of stress from 50MPH. That sucker would pretty much grenade i would imagine.