Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Mysterious T-Case Vaccuum Hose

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2021, 09:08 PM
Beginning Member
FletcherTime is on a distinguished road
Default Mysterious T-Case Vaccuum Hose

So I went off-road for the weekend and noticed the 4x4 wasn’t working like normal. I look under the car and a hose is hanging out. See below video:

https://youtube.com/shorts/SpIQdsxnuxo?feature=share

One end is connected to the top of the transfer case, but I’m not sure what the other is supposed to go to. The line is old and crusty, but 4x4 was working before. Where should that end go?

2001 Chevy Blazer LT 4.3L, with a 4 button switch.

Old 09-27-2021, 08:49 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That is the t-case vent. It should have a little cap over the end of it and should have a mount clip somewhere up on the firewall behind the engine.

Old 09-27-2021, 10:18 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
That is the t-case vent. It should have a little cap over the end of it and should have a mount clip somewhere up on the firewall behind the engine.
So that doesn’t plug into anything? I just mount it out of the way?

There’s a hole in the hose so if it’s just a vent I shouldn’t need to worry too hard about it.

Old 09-27-2021, 10:45 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It does not plug into anything. It is just a hose to route the vent up above any external contaminants that could be driven through (mud, water, etc.). Having a hole in it shouldn't be anything to worry about if you aren't offroading it regularly.

Old 09-27-2021, 04:36 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks to you I was able to rule out this vent hose and find the true problem... torn 4x4 actuator. Thank you!

Old 09-30-2021, 01:28 PM
Beginning Member

Okay new question. Should I be concerned about the mud and moisture collected at the base of the vent hose tube? Should the 90 degree nipple rotate freely? Right now I can rotate it both directions easily.

I am going to clean it up today with some break cleaner and a rag, but I want to make sure this is okay. (Sorry for bad photo quality, it is a weird angle to get my phone in!)