Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Popping in front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 12:35 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Popping in front suspension

2000 4WD
70k miles
LS trim

Within the last 5-10k miles, I've noticed a 'popping' or 'clanking' noise in my (mostly left) front suspension. It occurs when I drive over a bump or something such as a manhole cover. I only hear the sound when the suspension is extended or released (as opposed to when it's compressed). My mechanic brother suggested the hub bearing, but he's a state away and only going by what I describe. I'm the second owner and my guess is that it needs new shocks or possibly has a loose mount...

Any ideas?

Old 02-14-2007, 12:52 AM
ma96782 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Popping in front suspension

Your brother is a state away......think how far the guys on the internet are. LOL

Anyway......IMHO......you could/should take your vehicle down to an alignment shop.....ask them to look her over and give you an estimate. They see hundreds of frt ends during a week......they KNOW their stuff. If you decide to get the parts and work done there, thats good for them. If you take it home and DIYrepairs....at least take it back when you're done and get her aligned there......you will probably need to anyway (after doing major parts changes).

Aloha, Mark

Old 02-14-2007, 10:07 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you do go to an alignment shop, take their assessment with a grain of salt. They do see tons of vehicles a day, but they are in business to make money and often times will recommend anything and everything that they see as possibly being a problem.

IMO, you should check your ball joints. This is a common problem.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:04 PM
ma96782 is an unknown quantity at this point

Or better said.....Take it to a shop YOU TRUST!!!

Aloha, Mark

Old 02-14-2007, 11:55 PM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Also Try Greasing all11 zirc's with the wheels off the ground, then take it out for a test ride.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:37 AM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

I had the same problem with mine, it would pop when i went over a bump while turning right or left. Chevy told me for months it was normal but after numerous letters they found the problem. They never stated what it is but they had to replace the lower control arm and idler arm.