Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Posi-Lok Very Difficult to engage

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 11:29 AM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Posi-Lok Very Difficult to engage

Hey everyone. I had to engage my 4WD last night to get up the driveway. THAT was difficult. I pressed the 4HI button. The transfer case locked instantly. However, I went to pull the front axle handle at 5mph with the wheels pointed straight ahead and it didn't want to lock in. Eventually, after driving it forward and backward several times, it locked fully. Then I drove it to an empty parking lot and tried an experiment to see if there was a problem. I took it up to 10mph and it was still giving me a hassle, but it was locking in a bit easier. I also noticed that I have to use more force to pull it. This handle has always been difficult, but not like this. I had it installed 3 weeks ago and the first time I used it, I pulled a muscle in my arm. I had the have the shift fork and other parts replaced 12/2007 because it was destroyed when we bought the car.

I also jacked the front left wheel up to see if it was actually locked in. I rotated the wheel and it felt different than usual. It felt like there is slack in the drivetrain and transfer case, but when I turn the wheel, it does rotate the front driveshaft and the opposite CV shaft before stopping, meaning it is locked in.

I did notice that the axle is easier to engage if the transfer case is in 2HI, but it makes a noise when it does that, so I didn't do that again.

So what kind of problem could I have here?

The only difference from the last time I engaged it was that it was before 100k. I hit 100k yesterday.

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 02-20-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:09 AM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

I just went out and had to use the 4WD in snow. Darn thing is hard to lock in. Here is what I noticed:

-Obviously have to be moving (I tried it at 5, 10, 15, and 20mph)
-I have to pull the handle firmly
-It is harder when it is in 4HI, but does not make a noise when it locks
-When I tried to pull the handle, it does not want to go to the fully extended position (only one that gives me 4WD) unless I pull it, relax it and then keep applying force until it slips into the full extended position.

I am really really concerned that something is somehow broken. I don't see how that is possible. I am a nerd with barely any muscle. I don't abuse anything and I pretty much use the 4WD in snow or mud and I don't push limits with the truck. I got stuck earlier because it was not locking in. I eventually got it moving spinning the rear wheels until all 4 wheels were moving the same speed and then pulled the handle.

Is there a trick I am missing? Normally, I pull the handle with the wheels pointed straight ahead. I don't try engaging it on curves or when the wheels are turned. Should I be trying it with the wheels turned slightly or will that cause damage? Could anything in the front axle be damaged? Could the cable somehow be frozen even though it moves smoothly except for the engaged zone?