Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Is it possible to remove the lower BJ without removing the axle

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 11:37 PM
Beginning Member
CODEE_ is on a distinguished road
Default Is it possible to remove the lower BJ without removing the axle

I've searched and searchsd and I can't find a reputable source of anybody with a how-to on how to remove the lower ball joint for 4x4 blazer without removing the axle. I'd really appreciate it if anybody has any information thank you

Old 10-12-2021, 07:34 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

If the ball joint is original it would be much easier to get it out as you have to cut/chisel the rivets out. If it has been replaced, should be pretty easy. Just check to see if you have bolts holding the ball joint in place. If no bolts then it isn't a fun job even if you pull the control arm out.

Old 10-12-2021, 09:07 PM
Beginning Member
CODEE_ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by AJBert
If the ball joint is original it would be much easier to get it out as you have to cut/chisel the rivets out. If it has been replaced, should be pretty easy. Just check to see if you have bolts holding the ball joint in place. If no bolts then it isn't a fun job even if you pull the control arm out.
They have been replaced before they are bolts.i need to replace control arm bushings as well. Am I able to sneak the ball joint out with the axle right above it. How would I do that it literally looks impossible from the pics I've seen. I saw that the axle was in the way and put it back together immediately. I don't have a 36mm I could buy one tho. Thanks for your help

Old 10-12-2021, 09:49 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

The bj drops from under the arm, and doesn't go up like it looks like.

I'm sure with some maneuverability you can get it out without removing thw axle, but then you might be pulling it out of place just trying to get it out of the way.

I would get the socket, for the amount of time you will save and the headache you won't have, it's worth it.

I didn't want to get a socket myself, but after the amount of times I've used it, between home and scrap yard, it has saved me more headaches then I can count.

Old 10-13-2021, 07:29 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Put a jack under the lower control arm and raise it a bit. Make sure you do this AFTER you have the body setting on a jack stand. Break the ball joint loose from the spindle and then tie the spindle/cv axle/upper control arm up so they don't drop when you lower the jack under the lower control arm. This should give you plenty of room to change out the ball joint.

Changing out the bushings on the LCA is a whole different job. If you are planning on doing that at the same time, just change out the ball joint when you get the LCA out.