Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Rear differential 96 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2019 | 10:41 AM
Starting Member
hurleyii is on a distinguished road
Default Check brakes first!

My 98 had locked up rear brakes at a 170,00 it was given to me cause it wouldnt move.

Old 12-02-2019 | 07:12 PM
|
Chriscap is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by hurleyii
My 98 had locked up rear brakes at a 170,00 it was given to me cause it wouldnt move.

I am starting to think the brakes were locked up cause i was going to push ot in the garage to start taking the rear end off and said why not try to back it in the garage. I put it in drive and the back tires moved and as i was reversing they were moving again so i am going to try to pull the differential cover and look to see how the gears are. And if they look good ill look at the back breaks...

Old 12-21-2019 | 11:11 PM
Beginning Member
Wild_Thing XI is on a distinguished road

I havent had any problems as far as it locking up (knock on wood), but ive noticed that while I'm driving there is a high pitched hum, and it seems to go away after I take my foot off the throttle. I'm guessing its dirty or low fluid but havent had the chance to check yet. Any ideas what it could be and how to fix It? (98 4 door 4x4)

Old 12-21-2019 | 11:27 PM
eshaw is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a brake problem. Raise it up on jack stands and try to turn the tires. If they don't want to move without engine power they're probably locking up on you. Take a wheel off and see what the shoes look like in the drum. I'll bet they heated up on you and finally locked up. They broke loose when you put it in reverse. I think the humming you're hearing is the shoes vibrating in the drums.

Old 12-24-2019 | 06:31 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

With a bit of luck it's just the brakes.
Sounds like taking apart the whole brakes. With that many miles on it the least would be new shoes, new spring set for the shoes and probably new brake actuator.

I personally would als spend some $ on a differential gasket and 2 quarts of hypo-oil and take the differential cover off just to be sure.

Old 12-24-2019 | 06:35 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Wild Thing XI

Depends on the humming, where it is originating, how strong it is.

Difficult to tell if wheels, transmission, transfer case, axle shaft, differential.
At least you can have a look at the oil level in the differential for peace of mind.
The differential will go out quickly if running at low oil level or dry. Mind you, a specific hypo-oil is needed for the differential.

Old 01-07-2020 | 12:31 AM
Beginning Member
Wild_Thing XI is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by error_401
Wild Thing XI

Depends on the humming, where it is originating, how strong it is.

Difficult to tell if wheels, transmission, transfer case, axle shaft, differential.
At least you can have a look at the oil level in the differential for peace of mind.
The differential will go out quickly if running at low oil level or dry. Mind you, a specific hypo-oil is needed for the differential.

I checked the front/rear diff oil, front looks ok, rear will need a change soon. I didnt check the transfer case, but i did check the U joints which seemed ok. So my best guess is the transfer case (which doesnt appear to be leaking) or the rear diff. If worse comes to worse, I'll have to go to a U pull yard and get one. I hope it lasts the winter.