Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Screeching noise when cranking steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 04:37 PM
Starting Member
kalebach is on a distinguished road
Default Screeching noise when cranking steering wheel

Hello, new to the forum, new to blazers.
Just recently picked up a 2000 GMC Jimmy 2door 4x4.
As of Saturday I've noticed some noises pop up overnight after a rain.
First noise was what sounded like a warped rotor on the left, a churr churrr churr sound that just sounded like an uneven spot on the rotor, but then on the right I started getting a screech noise that I can also feel in the steering wheel when cranking the wheel right at low speeds like in a parking lot. Well the rotor noise is going away, only here it turning right just barely, but the screech felt in the steering wheel is growing quickly. Still only at low speeds but its screeching and yawing turning the wheel both ways. The more I crank the wheel the more minor vibration in the steering wheel and eeeeerrrrr sound, lol.

Left wheel bearing was done about a year ago, right is original. I'm unsure of the ball joints but I'm pretty sure the owner told me he had those done in the last few years also, but possible not.

Any ideas? Power steering leak? Wheel bearing? Ball joints? Tie rod?

I dont have Tons of experience fixing and diagnosing issues but I can learn to fix things. Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

Old 05-27-2019, 07:04 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

For the belt chirping while turning the steering wheel check the belt for glazing and tension on belt - 10 to 1 your belt is slipping - replace as needed - every body likes Gaterbacks but I think they run under a different name now ....

Last edited by odat; 05-27-2019 at 07:49 PM.