Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Something loose at the rear axle

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 02:19 PM
fernandoh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Something loose at the rear axle

I can't compare my 4D 2000 with any other. It has noises at the rear when the pavement is rough, like when a wheel is loose or the rubbers at the shocks are gone. I had checked whatever (spare tire tight enough, new Bilsteins (I believed some time ago that the shocks were the culprit and I got that expensive spares), all the rubbers OK at the eye, the trunk lid, the tank, the bolts that hold the wagon on the chassis, etc.). I'm having the idea of a wheel with an in-out movement. Is this a potential source to the noise?, any idea?. To be the more specific possible, when the pavement is flat and smooth, nothing. But if is cracked a little the noise of something loose is evidenced, as a deep vibration at the rear. Some times when the rough area is marked the vehicle tends to move the tail, but I believe is still normal for an axle of that old type. I tought about the spare tire, then the lid and now I can't know.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a rear sway bar? If you do, how do the bushings and end links look on it?

Old 04-09-2009, 06:53 PM
fernandoh is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I have rear sway bar. All the linkage seems to be OK. I use the truck a minute ago and sometimes it seems to be a side to side related noise or vibration but the wheels are firm and the only movement is "in out". Once I did something in the parking pads (mine is with discs at rear) and I believe after the repair the noise was diminished. ??