Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Suspension Worry

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 10:51 AM
DiamondLion is on a distinguished road
Default Suspension Worry

I've got a 2001 GMC Jimmy Diamond Edition and the suspension on it is real loose and wobbly. It also creeks a hell of a lot when I'm driving. Do you think I need to get it replaced or is there a semi-cheap fix for it?

Thanks.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:03 PM
fletch125 is an unknown quantity at this point

Define loose...Is it loose in the steering such as a tie rod/centerlink/ball joint issue? Or is it rough when hitting bumps such as a suspension(shocks/spring issue)? Also is it 4wd or 2wd? Is the noise coming from the front or back. Need to be as descriptive as possible so we can help! To start jack the front of the vehicle up and support it so both tires are off the ground(make sure you chock the rear wheels). Now have shake the front( dont go crazy just a slight shake) tires side to side. If you feel any movement have someone else shake it and watch and see what moves. Typically this indicated a tie rod issue. Now shake the tire up and down( put one hand on top of tire and one on bottom and shake) if you feel any movement this could indicate a wheel bearing issue(especially if it moves and pops when you shake it both ways. Examine your shocks and see if you see any oil coming out of them. There are a ton of different things that can go bad and cause noise.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:54 AM
DiamondLion is on a distinguished road

Fletch,

My steering is fine. But when I hit bumps, my whole body kinda sways. I have a 2001 4x4 Diamond Edition Jimmy. As soon as I can, I will take a look at it and see if I see anything.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:13 AM
tracedumashsog is on a distinguished road

fletch, I have some front end noise, and am fixing to post about what all I have done, and what it is doing, but I am reading other post first to see if I can find an answer, and I saw what you said about having the front end off the ground, do you have to have both tires off the ground? or will the side in question do? if it has to be both, that may be the answer to my delima. I have a 2000 Bravada