Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

You guys were right; Needed a BFH

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 01:00 AM
Little Roober is on a distinguished road
Default You guys were right; Needed a BFH

I'm replacing tie rods, ball joints, pittman and idler arm on my 96 Jimmy. So far I've noticed a few things:

A pickle fork is not essential, but would help A LOT.
PB blaster is a work of god.
Three hammers isn't too much.
And trying to remove bolts that haven't been touched in 15 years is a pain in the.....

The only real setbacks so far have been both of the lower ball joints are still riveted in. And it took me two hours to pull the passenger side hub because of the rust and seizing. (BFH and a gallon of PB used here)

A quick question if you wouldn't mind.... On the passenger side of the sway bar, there is no bolt. It's like the bolt just sheered off. Would this cause a swaying motion when hitting bumps on the freeway or on a main road? I can't believe Belle Tire didn't catch it when I took it there for an estimate...I didn't notice until I jacked up the lower control arm. If that's what caused the swaying motion..I could have saved $500 on parts...Sorry to ramble...This is my first real project on my first car so I've learned a lot.