Street N Strip Post your vacation driving stories, day at the track, breakdowns, safety issues, driving techniques, unique driving conditions, etc. STREET RACING STORIES ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

Getting better technique

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 12:53 PM
Beginning Member
Okamiwilks is on a distinguished road
Question Getting better technique

So I guess this is a technique thread. Anyways I feel like my technique has plateaued and I was wondering how to get better. My father (my main source of information) has left me in the dark with the whole "You need to learn some things on your own" and I don't know what to learn. I don't want to change cars because even though the 01 Jimmy had bad handling and bad speed I like it. What should I know about driving the thing any advise? I guess what I do with the thing is autocross driving.

Last edited by Okamiwilks; 05-14-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:06 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Man, you can keep your truck to daily drive, go to work, and save up for an autocross car if that's your passion. One of the best things to learn is you need to have a driver, and a toy. If your driver is your toy, you're gonna be broke down, missing work or bumming rides alot lol.

For a long time my blazer was my daily, and I wanted to offroad it. I was patient, and now it's my toy, and I have a Cobalt for my daily. I'm free to have the Blazer down for weeks at a time doing stuff to it. If I break something off roading, who cares, I'll fix it when I get around to it. That's the best way to enjoy a vehicle

Old 05-17-2019, 10:36 AM
Beginning Member

Ok well if I am going to buy an autocross car as a separate thing. What do you think about a Saab 9-3. I remember the one I learned on was fun. I kinda shaped my technique even still to today with the Jimmy. Its may sound weird but they are similar is an odd way.

Old 05-17-2019, 01:54 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Man, I've never driven a saab, so I can't really speak too much on that. Just make sure whatever you want to autocross, there is aftermarket support for. Or, buy a welder and get really good at fabricating

Old 05-19-2019, 10:42 PM
Beginning Member

I kinda like to keep cars stock in all honesty. I have never really been much of a mod guy
But how do I describe the Saab 9-3? Its a Fwd car that you drive similar to the Blazer. You use the same technique for different reasons. In the Blazer you keep on the throttle while breaking to stabilize the car in a turn while in the Saab you do it to keep the turbo spooling and to reduce understeer. The handling is just about as mushy. The main difference in drivablity would be the fact the 9-3 raises up and almost glides at speed while the Blazer does not it keep fairly stiff due to the suspension I assume.

Last edited by Okamiwilks; 05-19-2019 at 10:46 PM.