Street N Strip Post your vacation driving stories, day at the track, breakdowns, safety issues, driving techniques, unique driving conditions, etc. STREET RACING STORIES ARE STRICTLY PROHIBITED.

S10 run from Driver's seat

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 04:55 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Nice run. And nice start.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:22 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by error_401
Nice run. And nice start.
Thanks!

Old 02-20-2020, 02:51 PM

Been working on a CAI for the S10. Used a couple of commercial baking pans fiberglassed to the underside of the hood and a big round pizza pan under the air cleaner. Wood particle board for spacer, and HVAC (commercial) line insulation.

Last edited by LesMyer; 02-20-2020 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:59 PM

One more

Old 02-22-2020, 08:27 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

That's awesome!! Very good job!

I've been toying with the idea of incorporating the "shaker hood" look from a cuda... I really like the looks of them.

Old 02-24-2020, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by DonL
That's awesome!! Very good job!

I've been toying with the idea of incorporating the "shaker hood" look from a cuda... I really like the looks of them.
Thanks Don! Almost forgot..... I did install a MSD crank trigger to replace the FAST crank trigger which didn't work for me at the track last year. Pricey little sucker! The MSD is yet unproven at the track, but I think it will be fine (FAST crank trigger only worked at home). Completely different magnet design and the maker of my ignition box mentions working with MSD crank trigger. Also, the MSD has a bushing to exactly center the trigger wheel on the crankshaft so all four trigger wheel to magnet gaps are equal. Timing using the crank trigger and programmable ignition box is a beauty to behold - so stable (zero jumping around a degree or two due to slop in the timing chain and distributor gear - and no variation with RPM when it isn't desired).

Hopefully precise timing will help a little on the power and the programmable box will also make it very easy to change timing precisely (no twisting of the distributor - just program the desired curve and upload it). I had plans to check various total timing values by uploading them at the track last Summer, but the FAST crank trigger misfire failures discouraged me repeatedly. Later, with the ±2 degree jumping around and timing change with RPM that I could see when running the ignition box off my locked out distributor, I figured why bother and just concentrated on other things like my reaction times.

Last edited by LesMyer; 02-24-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-27-2020, 06:38 AM

Very nice addition. I like your approach - commercial baking pans - LOL.

There's nothing but find the proper parts for a hack. Looks really good. The seal, is this just an airfilled ring or some foam ring?

Old 03-05-2020, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by error_401
Very nice addition. I like your approach - commercial baking pans - LOL.

There's nothing but find the proper parts for a hack. Looks really good. The seal, is this just an airfilled ring or some foam ring?
It's insulation for a 1/2 inch metal HVAC line (home A/C). Thanks!!

Old 06-02-2020, 11:18 AM

Yay!! Finally, after 5 years - time slips in the tens!! Looks like the cold air pan and/or the MSD crank trigger gained me a tenth or so.

Beautiful weather on Sunday. 55 at 10am and dry air. High of 68 in mid afternoon. Track seemed to be prepped well. Lots of racers!

Ran a pair of 11.02s for time trials - one with a very lazy light and one with a fantastic light. Dialed in at 11.01

First round ran a 11.05 with a lazy light - lost and bought back in.

Second round was a double breakout win for me with a 10.98 and a great light!!

Third round I won the bye run with the .004 light from second round and dialed 10.98. Tried to practice the light and red-lighted but it was all good with a 11.01.

Fourth round was another double breakout, but this time I ran a 10.95. Both identical reaction times. I lost by breaking out .0007 more than the other guy. It was really close at the end and a lot of fun!

They went on for a number of more rounds, but it was nearly 5:30 pm so I put it on the trailer and went home to bask with a beer on my deck in 10 second glory!! It's been a long time coming!

Next weekend 2 gallon VP 110 with 3 gallon 93 octane pump gas + 2 degrees more timing up to 37. A tip from my pitt neighbor who runs 8.30s with a tube chassis OLDs 442. Says it might be worth as much a 2 tenths in a 383 which likes lots of timing - and its very easy to try.

Last edited by LesMyer; 06-02-2020 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:57 AM

Great!

Happy for you to have gotten into the 10's. Keep it up!

Quick Reply: S10 run from Driver's seat