Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Leaf springs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 02:52 PM
alamantia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Leaf springs?

So I have a 1992 K1500 Blazer and I may want to tow a open traler with a car on it next spring. If memory serves me right:

1500 = 1/2 Ton
2500 = 3/4 Ton
3500 = 1 Ton

If I wanted to go to a junk yard and find a set of leaf sprinks out of a 2500 series Suburban would they fit in my Blazer to upgrade my truck from a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton?

Has anyone had experiance doing this?

Old 11-14-2006, 04:13 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Leaf springs?

You would need the axle from the 2500 series.

Old 11-14-2006, 04:34 PM

So your saying the U bolts wont attatch to the new leaf springs? Im not sure if I understand... im keeping the same axle, I just want to swap leafs springs.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you should be able to swap the springs out and have them fit up right. To start though, I would take some measurements of your spring seat and U-bolts (which you'll probably want to replace anyway), then compare with the 2500 rear.

Old 11-15-2006, 12:36 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

I mean for a true 3/4 ton you would need the 14 bolt, 6 lug axle.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:07 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

If you wanna beef up your springs, you can just add a leaf. There are kits available and it could prove to be less of a hassle.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:27 AM

All good advice, thanks. I understand that a true 3/4 ton and full ton have a 14 bolt as my 86 K20 had a 14 bolt but Im not going to try and locate one. I believe the current 10 bolt with 6 lug axles will be just fine. And I do see those kits in JC whittney to add a leaf. Its just that there is a junk yard close by and I saw a 2500 suburban there the other day and since i know I will probably be towing a car next summer I thought I would be proactive and see if I could swap a set this weekend.

Now my fathers shop is a pontiac / saturn store and in the limited work i did there I know we have a spring compressor for coil springs when you have to mount a coil spring on a strut but no one there has any experiance with leaf springs. Im wondering of the mounting eyelets on the ends of the leafs will match right up to the thru holes in my shackels or if I have to use some sort of Jig to compress them to get the bolts to go through, i guess I will find out saturday!

Thanks

Old 11-16-2006, 05:07 PM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

Measure them from end to end, that will tell you if its a direct fit or if it will be off.

Normally you can fix a slight off set (less then an inch) with drop shackles.

Odd that the people at your father's shop would not have any exp. with leaf springs. If they went to school, its part of the drive train classes.

As for force fitting, DON"T because that would mean they are not ment to fit and should not be mounted in the stock shackles. Not to mention the kick back from them if you miss the mark can be dangerous.

Any good shop (who works with leaf springs) can add leafs to your setup. Or set you up with a set that will fit.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:14 AM

Thanks for the advice.

As for the guys in my fathers shop, aside from him and his experiance with leaf springs in cars when he used to be a tech in the 70's where he wouldnt know if Leaf springs from a 1992 & 1997 Truck are interchangeable the guys are relitivly new and Pontiac and saturn and doutably have had classes on a suspension part that does not exist in their cars. Thats why I didnt even bother asking any of them. Never the less, i'll figure out the install part on my own anyway, i was just looking to see if anyone on this forum has had experiance doing exactly what im about to do, i was aware of my other options (adding leafs) prior to my post. I just dont want to spend 1/2 a day pulling out $20 rusty leafs if I KNEW they wouldnt fit ya know...?

Anyway, thanks again for all of your insight.