Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Tech: Lube up leaf springs

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 09:01 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default Tech: Lube up leaf springs

I jacked the truck up and sprayed lithium grease between the leaf springs. I did a rear brake job and took it out for a ride. I noticed a sqeek it had is now gone. I would recommend any do this if a noise is suspected in the rear.

P.S. Don't mess w/ the parking brake shoe. I tapped it to get some dust off and it dragged on rotor when I drove. P I the A to get it centered. A good hammer will suffice.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:52 AM
DaveLance is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Tech: Lube up leaf springs

Excellant post. I saw a similar one on another forum and I plan on doing it this weekend.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The lithium grease may not last all that long. For longer protection, you could try to put on a standard grease between the springs.

I know on several other trucks that I have worked on, there were rubber isolators between the ends of the springs. Kind of sucks that we don't have that option on ours. Makes for a nice quiet ride.

Old 03-08-2006, 01:56 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Excellant post. I saw a similar one on another forum and I plan on doing it this weekend.

(in reply to 4lowlife)
My dad gave me they idea when he was over. And yeah it's been done before.

The lithium grease may not last all that long. For longer protection, you could try to put on a standard grease between the springs.
Probably next time I'm out at the A zone I'll get some. Wonder how high temp anti/never seize would hold up? The best would be liquid graphite. The lithium grease will dry up in the heat eventually. But makes for a quick fix!

I know on several other trucks that I have worked on, there were rubber isolators between the ends of the springs. Kind of sucks that we don't have that option on ours. Makes for a nice quiet ride.
I agree. And have greasable shackles like the oearly model Vettes!

*sigh, the good 'ol days.

Old 03-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that antiseize would work well at all. It is meant to be squeazed into tight areas. It will dry out over time just like lithium grease and will make a mess besides. The best thing to do would probably to put in a thin peice of rubber to isolate the springs, but I'd have to take a closer look to see how to retain the rubber.