Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

popping noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 09:16 PM
Annekat91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: popping noise

Well, yours sounds maybe worse than mine, especially since mine's kinda stopped doing it. But that makes me nervous, too. Why would it stop? Makes me wonder if something broke to the point where it can't make the noise anymore. But I will definitely let you know if I find anything out.

ORIGINAL: Talusgirl

That is soo typical that it won't do it when you take it in. I hate that, end up looking like an idiot. That is EXACTLY what happened to me. It almost feels like something broke when it happens. Let me know if you find anything out. I'm going to try a few of the other suggestions-I really don't know if theirs are the same problem though. Worth a try...

Old 09-22-2005, 12:34 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a 2000 S10-Blazer 4x4 that does the exact same thing. I work part time in a service center. I have had it up in the air 2 times in the last 3 months for my 7,000 mile tire balance and rotate. Everytime I have it up in the air, I do a front end check. Plus I get our alignment techs to check it out. Everything checks out OK. I do have a wheel bearing that is a little loose and will eventually need replacement. Right now it's no biggy and barely noticeable while in the air, and not noticeable while driving. However I already bought the replacement hub assembly. $125 each, ouch..... But that is a different sound and if it gets any worse will eat tires.

Next time I have it up in the air I will be checking the torsion bars, and sway bar bushings. I have seen dozens of trucks, vans, cars with the sway bar links gone, completely gone. When I would question the owners I would get the usual answer. It used to make noise and then one day it stop. Never seemed to affect anything so I never worried about it. Ummm... it stopped becuase they broke completely off. The only thing it affects is cornering and sway at speed. Does it seem a little more unstable on the highway, well now that you mention it......

Umm... why don't you believe what the dealer tech told you? He has the best tools in the industry at his disposal, has the best training, not too mention decades of expeirenced guys to ask for help. Its not his first Rodeo....

Old 09-22-2005, 02:58 PM
Talusgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Now that you mention it, I do have a lot of sway. I was just thinking that the other day. Now it sways as bad as my Volvo. I remember thinking it wouldn't do well on the course at Road America...I think what AnneKat is saying is that she knows something is making noise-why can't they find something wrong? Kinda like me at the Dr., whenever I have some concern, and it's a very viable concern, they can't find anything wrong-which is good. But you leave feeling unsatisfied...I come up w/ the weirdest analogies...

Old 09-23-2005, 04:42 AM

Actually, I think Hanr3 was replying to an earlier post, not to me, about believing what the dealer tech said. But the doctor analogy is a good one, and sometimes they just won't spend the time or energy to really investigate something they can't seem to observe.

Anyway, I heard my noise again today, but it is just not as often or as loud, and I am not worrying about it as much, but will still get things checked again at the upcoming oil change. I'm wondering if I'm just driving it better, more smoothly, now that I'm more used to the vehicle. And if it's bushings, a friend suggested that they can get drier in the warmer weather, so the change of seasons could be making a difference.

So now you say yours is more of a squeak than a clunk or pop? (Back to the New Member section for that post in reply to Hello, I have a '91.) Well, mine is definitely a clunk or pop. But I have squeaks, too, as someone else mentioned in this thread. I'm thinking leaf spring bushings, which I will get checked, too, and which I may address pretty soon in another post.

Old 09-23-2005, 04:04 PM

No, someone else said that they had a 'squeek'. I was just saying I could only find 'squeek' problems posted, not clunks or 'pops'. Is that even clear --what I just wrote? To anyone else-maybe not.

Old 09-24-2005, 03:10 AM

OK, got it, thanks for the clarification. AK

Old 09-25-2005, 03:24 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

You ladies are great.

Old 09-27-2005, 08:37 PM

Funny eh? Well we know what we're talking about - even if on one else does...

Old 11-13-2005, 06:29 AM
Blaze of Glory is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Y'all

First let me say that I might be new to this forum, but I have been coming to it for some time now. It seems in my opinion to be very well run and includes lots of valuable information. Now for my $.02 I hope it helps

For sometime I to have had the problem of a popping noise somewhere in the front end of a 2001 blazer. (2 wheel drive, 4.3 v-6, 5 speed). Quite frankly it was driving me more nuts than I already am. I won't bore you with all the details of all the other things that I looked at and or tried, i.e. ball joints, tie rod ends, sway bar links, etc. etc. that's been covered in other posts.

So you ask what did I find as the cause of the popping?.....

Try this on for size,.........Steering limiting stops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats right folks, steering stops that are rivited to the lower control arms. Seems as though the stops had worn to the point that they had formed a large burr on the edge that contacts the spindle i.e. looked like the end of a cold chisle with a mushroomed head. The stop would bind up on the spindle as the suspension would travel through it's various arcs. Then when the stop went through the point of maximum bind, the force built up within the componants would rapidly release causing,.........You guessed it,.....A VERY LOUD POP!

The fix? Nothing that an angle die grinder with a 36 grit pad and 2 mins. couldn't fix. Ok 4 mins. Did both sides while I was at it. (suppose a file would work too).

Well there you have it, it worked for me. Cost of repair, All the #@&+! time to find it!!!!!!!!!
Knowing that it wasn"t a serious problem (when I finally found it) and it cost nothing to fix,........

PRICELESS

This might not be the fix that cures the problem in all cases but hey it costs nothing to check, and little to nothing to correct. NOW THATS MY KIND OF REPAIR.

Just my two cents worth.

Good Luck, Gator
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-14-2005, 12:36 AM
chevylane2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

nicely said.
Didn't beat around the bush either.
Thanks