Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Tire wearing on inside edge.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 05:59 PM
frankjc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tire wearing on inside edge.

Hi. My 99 blazer is wearing the r/f tire on the inner edge.
I am not sure what is causing this, but I have a couple of theories.
1) I replaced the hub & Bearing assembly a couple months ago, I wonder if it's bad, or if it just set the wheel out of alignment. I did have the wheel off last week, and there didn't seem to be any play in the bearing.
2) I know the car needs a pitman arm, it has play in it, and it was supposed to be replaced when my upper, lower ball joints and idler arm got replaced, but it didn't get done.
The tire itself was taken off the wheel a couple months ago because the bead was leaking. It had some wear on the outer edge at the time (about the same as the other side). The tire got mounted "backwards", in other words, the outer edge is now on the inner side. The tire is significantly more worn than the one on the other side.
I am not sure where to look first for the cause of this. I do have the pitman arm. Maybe I should put that on and have it aligned? Would the alignment rack tell me if the new hub is aligning properly? Would it make sense that the truck was out of alignment because of the hub replacement? I think I am going to move that wheel to the rear until I can figure this out. Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks for reading. Frank

Old 06-25-2006, 06:20 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: Tire wearing on inside edge.

yes, truck is out of alignment. also have them check the toe/camber to make sure that is right also.

Old 06-25-2006, 06:30 PM
frankjc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks hillbilly. Would I be correct in assuming that too much "toe out" would caused by the loose pitman arm and cause the tire to wear on the inside?

Old 06-25-2006, 08:41 PM
95BlacerMississippi is an unknown quantity at this point

hello I work at a Tire shop and yes you need to replace the pitman arm and then have a 4 wheel alignment done

it was out of alingment dut to the worn parts and any time you replace any of the frunt end parts not including the tires and rims and brakes you want to have the vehical alinged.

of corse the rong air pressure could cause a tire to wear.

Old 06-25-2006, 09:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What is there to 'align' on the solid rear axle?

I agree that you need to have a front end alignment after replacing any worn component in the steering.

Old 06-25-2006, 09:41 PM
95BlacerMississippi is an unknown quantity at this point

ok even if there is no way to fix the toe and camber of the rear tires you still do a 4 wheel aligment set up to align the frunt end parts
but some blazers alow you to correct the rear toe and camber.