Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Widen Stance, Lift Body, Stablize Ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 11:46 PM
leeclark is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by oktain
Fiberglass Gel-Coat doesn't like Rocks too much though lol... You may want to paint the inside lip of those fiber glass flares you plan on making with some bed liner.
if i can make them look good i will probably do the lower half where the body lines are with bedliner which will include the whole flares

Old 03-22-2010, 02:41 AM
Leo_P3547 is on a distinguished road

Anybody know if i could fit the fender flares that come on the ZR2 on my 97 4 door? love the way they look also thinking about taking trim of the doors and replacing bumpers with regular painted ones w/o the trim............ thoughts??? basicly just want to get rid of all the ugly chrome already ordered black front grille to replace the chrome one since it is broken anyways

Old 03-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Starting Member
Mark_D is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by oktain
Hmmm... to Stabilize your ride you'd want to lower it instead of going higher, higher centre of gravity=less stability, Physics 101

I don't see an issue with re-facing the rotor, I'd expect the brake booster to put just as much power to both sides...

You're right Oktane, I know that raising the body will make things less stable, but I still want to raise the body up even if it raises the center of gravity some. After new suspension and the wider wheelbase, I expect it to handle better, even if it is 2 inches higher. Trading some function for form you might say...

Old Skool,
Good point about the rotors. I'm going to do them on a freind's lathe, so I may as well just do them both, or, maybe all four.

Originally Posted by leeclark
as far as the loose steering goes i'd check the stablizer bar under the front end. not sure how many miles you have but mine is a 98 also and i had one of the bolts on the end where the bushings are break on my yesterday so i had to replace both sides. made a huge difference so i'd check that out. as far as wider stance you will pay as much for spacers as you would buyin steel wheels like mine or some of the other guys have. you just get a different offset that will make them stick out slightly more.
Lee, I have 130k on the truck - how many did your have when you replaced those bolts? I will check the stabilizer bar out next time I get under there, probably next weekend.

I found spacers for $95 for 2" in rear and I think $45 for 1.5" in the front. Wouldn't wheels be may more expensive? Like $125/wheel? I'll be interested to know because new wheels would be sweet, but I think spacers are going to be cheaper.

Originally Posted by Rottidog
& by having the tires stick out more you're...
A: going to have a lot more dirt etc. being tossed up on the sides & windows & chipping
B: might have to get fender flares to stay legal, though they're a good idea anyway
C: put more wear & tear on front end componants
& D: LOVE the way it looks!!!
A: Cool
B: Maybe, legal is a convenience to me
C: Are there brands who make better then OEM CV Joints or are they all the same? I'll probably need to replace them, so maybe this concern will go away
D: Hell YEAAAAAAA haha

Last edited by swartlkk; 03-24-2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to include additional information in your post if another member has not yet replied.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mark_D
Lee, I have 130k on the truck - how many did your have when you replaced those bolts? I will check the stabilizer bar out next time I get under there, probably next weekend.

I found spacers for $95 for 2" in rear and I think $45 for 1.5" in the front. Wouldn't wheels be may more expensive? Like $125/wheel? I'll be interested to know because new wheels would be sweet, but I think spacers are going to be cheaper.
well i changed stablizer bar end bolts this weekend cause they just broke off, the blazer has 163k miles on it but yours sounds about due for it. as far as the spacers go you can find some cheap ones on ebay but they range from 60$ a pair or 2 to 120$ for 2. i say its as cheap to pick up some wheels like the ones on my blazer but if your wanting something different may not be the same. but in my opinion if you would like some new wheels pick them up instead of spacers. i think it would be better that way, spacers can/will break.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Starting Member

Lee, what wheels do you have on your ride? I like the black rims and think they would look good on my black truck. I've still got some thinking to do about that choice because $ is an issue and there are other mods and fixes that will be happenning at the same time.

What is the offset on those rims?

Thanks!

Old 03-22-2010, 10:21 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Leo_P3547
Anybody know if i could fit the fender flares that come on the ZR2 on my 97 4 door? love the way they look also thinking about taking trim of the doors and replacing bumpers with regular painted ones w/o the trim............ thoughts???

nope, not very easily.

there are tabs tht the flares mount to, that are not on a 4 door truck. while you could just put ZR front fenders on, you'd need to fab something for the rear wheel wells.

tried to do this to my '98 4 door LT, and it isn't worth it-not that it's a heap or anything, just not worth it, IMO.

there are a few alternatives in the aftermarket. take a look @ rottidog's last couple of posts, search the web, there are a few places to find some.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:54 PM

Lee, what wheels do you have on your ride? I like the black rims and think they would look good on my black truck. I've still got some thinking to do about that choice because $ is an issue and there are other mods and fixes that will be happenning at the same time.

What is the offset on those rims?

Thanks!
here are the wheels on summit but if you look around craigslist you are likely to find some pop up sometime. its where i found mine at for $40 for the whole set. you may find some you like better. i know what you mean about money being an issue it is for me as well at the moment.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:27 AM
Starting Member

Lee, awesome, thanks for the link. $40/wheel is super cheap. I may need new tires if I go with those, however. I'm going to spend some time crawling Craigslist and see if I can find any...

Old 03-23-2010, 02:51 PM

Lee, awesome, thanks for the link. $40/wheel is super cheap. I may need new tires if I go with those, however. I'm going to spend some time crawling Craigslist and see if I can find any...
that was 40$ for the whole set without tires. but yeah keep your eyes peeled.. also did you look up under the front end? just wondering if the stabilizer bar bolts were the problem.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:46 AM
Starting Member

Lee, I haven't forgotten about those, but since I signed up on this forum, I've either worked late or it's been pouring every night. I should get a chance to do that tonight and i will let you know.

As for the wheels, I found a pair on Craigslist, but they had a 6-bolt circle . I'm going to an auto swapmeet in 3 weeks and am going to search for wheels and tires there.

I will let you know about the stabilizer bolts tonight, assuming to sky doesn't open up again before 5.

Also, Lee, those rims are 8" wide, while standard Blazer rims are 7" wide. Do they require new tires or could I temporarily use the OEM tires on the Cragar rims? Mine are not OEM, but same spec. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by swartlkk; 03-24-2010 at 02:39 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT feature to include additional information in your post if another member has not yet replied.

Quick Reply: Widen Stance, Lift Body, Stablize Ride