Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Widen Stance, Lift Body, Stablize Ride

Old 03-24-2010, 11:54 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

you can use the same tires.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Starting Member
Mark_D is on a distinguished road

Good to know, thanks Oktain!

So, I am thinking that [aside from checking the stabilizer bolts] the first thing I will replace is the suspension. Then I can do the wheels/tires in a few weeks at the swap meet.

I've researched a few shocks that have been mentioned in these forums. I've listed them below, does anybody have any suggestions or comments about any listed below?

Rancho
- rs5000 series (~$40/per) not adjustable
- rs9000 series (~$100/per) adjustable
Monro
- reflex (~$43/per) designed for high center of gravity vehicles, gives a stiffer ride.

Pro Comp shocks were mentioned in some post on here but I could not find any listing for Blazer applications. Oh well.

Here's a dumbass question for you, but on the front shocks on my truck, there are coils over the shock absorber. Are these something that does not come with the absorbers [looks like it] and should I need to replce them at the same time? Do I even need to replace them?

Old 03-24-2010, 02:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There are no coil springs on the front of a 4wd. Are you sure you are not seeing the shock boots?

Old 03-24-2010, 02:45 PM
Starting Member

Hmm, I'd have sworn there were coil springs in there. I'll let you know for sure tonight when I can poke my head into the wheel well...

Old 03-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

They wouldn't be stock. Could be that someone has added something in there I suppose, but I don't think there are lift assist shocks available for the front of these vehicles.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:44 PM
leeclark is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah front of 4x4 has torsion bars which is the springs. learned that one from swartlkk

Old 03-24-2010, 03:56 PM
Starting Member

So I'm looking through a ton of catalogs for shocks, and looking at desciptions, many say something along the lines of "for trucks with 0" lift or drop".

Now I do plan on doing the T-Bar crank 1.5" in front and a shackle lift of 2" in the back. I assume that the suspension will be fine with this regardless of their disclaimer about 0" lift. Am I right?

I'm inclined to go with the Monro shocks because they are supposed to be a little stiffer than stock, are still cheap, and you can get the boots in a bunch of colors. Any objections?

NOTE: www.partstrain.com has the best selection of shocks I've found so far. They've got every brand I can think of. Their site has been really helpful.

Thanks for answering all of my minute questions, btw. I just want to be sure that everything works as smoothly as possible because I have only 1 car, and limited tools. In other words, I don't want to have everything apart, realize it won't work, then have to reinstall old stuff to drive to get a part. And no, I juts moved so I don't have any friends to help me right now lol.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:36 PM
leeclark is an unknown quantity at this point

your factory shocks works with the shackles and t-bar crank. if you take it offroad then you will want shocks made for a lift.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:18 AM
Starting Member

Ok thanks for the info. I'm going to order the shocks and shackles tonight. Gonna go with the Monro Reflex shocks for now.

You're right, there are no springs in the front only the shock absorber. I don't know whose suspension setup I had in my head, not mine though.

Lee, did not get a chance to look at the stabilizer bar and bolts last night, but will look tonight when I put a new serp belt in.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Starting Member

Lee, I think the stabilizer bolts are tight...
If I put the wrench on the bolt head on the bottom and turn, the whole stack of bushings and the nut on the topside spin without much force.
Holding the top nut with a wrench, which is kinda awkward because it's a little thicker than a washer, it is really hard to tighten the bolt into the nut.

Sound tight to you?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Widen Stance, Lift Body, Stablize Ride