Suspension Tech Have a question about modifying your suspension? Ask it here.

Widen Stance, Lift Body, Stablize Ride

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 06:51 AM
leeclark is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mark_D
Lee, I think the stabilizer bolts are tight...
If I put the wrench on the bolt head on the bottom and turn, the whole stack of bushings and the nut on the topside spin without much force.
Holding the top nut with a wrench, which is kinda awkward because it's a little thicker than a washer, it is really hard to tighten the bolt into the nut.

Sound tight to you?
mine looked loose then i tried to tighten them and they broke they were wore down in the middle, just couldnt see it cause it was in the bushing itself. but you could tell mine where bad just looking at them. there shouldnt be any slack at all with them, atleast i dont think so.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:43 AM
Starting Member
Mark_D is on a distinguished road

Hmm, I see. The rubber looks okay on the bushings, and the bolt isn't rusted at all. I am going to assume they are good and tight for now. When I jack the truck up to put in the shocks, I'll play with the steering components and try to tighten the stabilizer bar more.

Updates and maybe some pics coming soon.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Starting Member

Okay, it's been a minute since I posted anything up here, but I finally got the shocks into the truck.

I'm glad to say the difference is amazing! The Monro Reflex shocks are really stiff and the ride does seem a little bit bumpy at times, but compared to how it used to feel, I love it. Way better handling, MUCH less roll and braking dive.

I also tried to see how hard it would be to take the shackles off...

I was using a Milwaukee 18v impact wrench, and it took the nut off with ease, but could not get the bolt to spin. I'm talking about the bolt that holds the shackle to the leaf springs. I can't believe that it is that rusted, though rust was raining from the underbody when I ran the impact on the frozen bolt.

Any ideas how I could get that damn bolt out of there? Think Rost-Off or some penetrating fluid could do it?

The swap meet is next weekend and I hope to find wheels with less offset there

Old 05-16-2010, 11:02 PM
Starting Member

In the end I had to mess around with penetrating oil, an impact wrench, and a breaker bar but I eventually got the shackles off and put the new ones in. I think the truck looks awesome now, with the wider black wheels and 2" front and rear lift. I'll post a before and after tomorrow.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:53 PM
Starting Member

Finally the before and after!!!!!!!

Thanks for the tips and suggestions everybody threw out here! I'm stoked with how it looks, and with the steering work and wider stance, it handles 500% better!

Now to redo the brakes...cake compared to the steering work

Attached Thumbnails Widen Stance, Lift Body, Stablize Ride-old_side.jpg   Widen Stance, Lift Body, Stablize Ride-new_side.jpg   Widen Stance, Lift Body, Stablize Ride-new_front.jpg   Widen Stance, Lift Body, Stablize Ride-new_back.jpg  
Old 05-18-2010, 11:51 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

looks good brother, job well done.

now you just need to get some wider flaps for her!