Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

alloy wheels prone to leakage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:28 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Good old porosity, I lost count of how many Grand Am's we had to service.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:28 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABN31B
seriously... you have to be a computer....
you say that like you're surprised Curtis. we discussed that all before. although i've lost track of what version of software his last upgrade was, i'm sure it's the most up-to-date that's available.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:45 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

GM actually had to stop making Blazers because their K.Y.L.E. unit had become self aware and knew more than the guys attempting the gen 3 redesign....

Old 01-03-2011, 03:48 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABN31B
GM actually had to stop making Blazers because their K.Y.L.E. unit had become self aware and knew more than the guys attempting the gen 3 redesign....

but not before they had shipped the plans South of the boarder.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:48 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

he can not speak Portugese...that's why it's safe

Old 01-10-2011, 11:22 AM
Beginning Member
20eez is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey peeps,

I have had the same issue for years, Stock alloys will leak over time for sure. Its only b/c the seal is dirty etc, every fall before my winter tires and stock rims go back on I get them cleaned and sealed. I also have them put the nitrogen in the tires to help prevent coming out to a flat tire9s)..again...

Old 01-10-2011, 02:11 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

^^

Originally Posted by swartlkk
GM has a technical service bulletin on this very topic. It does happen. Porosity in the casting can allow air to leak out of the rim. This can be diagnosed with a dunk tank and is evidenced by tiny bubbles forming on the surface of the rim between the beads. This isn't something that just starts happening one day though unless the rim has been damaged so...

Quote:
Tires/Wheels - Low Tire/Leaking Cast Aluminum Wheels

TECHNICAL

Bulletin No.: 05-03-10-003F

Date: April 27, 2010

Subject: Low Tire Pressure, Leaking Cast Aluminum Wheels (Repair with Adhesive Sealant)
Models:
2011 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (Including Saturn)
2010 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3
2009 and Prior Saab 9-7X
with Cast Aluminum Wheels

Supercede:
This bulletin is being revised to update the model years and the bulletin reference information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 05-03-10-003E (Section 03 - Suspension).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a low tire pressure condition.

Diagnosis of the low tire pressure condition indicates an air leak through the cast aluminum wheel.

Cause

Porosity in the cast aluminum wheel may be the cause.
Notice: This bulletin specifically addresses issues related to the wheel casting that may result in an air leak. For issues related to corrosion of the wheel in service, please refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 08-03-10-006C - Tire Slowly Goes Flat, Tire Air Loss, Low Tire Pressure Warning Light Illuminated, Aluminum Wheel Bead Seat Corrosion (Clean and Resurface Wheel Bead Seat).
Correction
  1. Remove the tire and wheel assembly from the vehicle. Refer to the appropriate service procedure in SI.
  2. Locate the leaking area by inflating the tire to 276 kPa (40 psi) and dipping the tire/wheel assembly in a water bath, or use a spray bottle with soap and water to locate the specific leak location.
    • IMPORTANT - If the porosity leak is located in the bead area of the aluminum rim (where the tire meets the rim), the wheel should be replaced.
    • IMPORTANT - If two or more leaks are located on one wheel, the wheel should be replaced.
  3. If air bubbles are observed, mark the location.
    • If the leak location is on the tire/rubber area, refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 04-03-10-001F
    • Tire Puncture Repair Procedures for All Cars and Light Duty Trucks.
    • If the leak is located on the aluminum wheel area, continue with the next step.
  4. Inscribe a mark on the tire at the valve stem in order to indicate the orientation of the tire to the wheel.
  5. Dismount the tire from the wheel. Refer to Tire Mounting and Dismounting.
  6. Remove the tire pressure sensor. Refer to Tire Pressure Sensor removal procedure in SI.
  7. Scuff the INSIDE rim surface at the leak area with #80 grit paper and clean the area with general purpose cleaner, such as 3M(R) General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, P/N 08984, or equivalent.
  8. Apply a 3 mm (0.12 in) thick layer of Silicone - Adhesive/Sealant, P/N 12378478 (in Canada, use 88900041), or equivalent, to the leak area.
  9. Allow for the adhesive/sealant to dry.
    • Notice: Caution must be used when mounting the tire so as not to damage the sealer. Damaging the repair area may result in an air leak.
  10. Align the inscribed mark on the tire with the valve stem on the wheel.
  11. Reinstall the Tire Pressure Sensor. Refer to Tire Pressure Sensor installation procedure in SI.
  12. Mount the tire on the wheel. Refer to Tire Mounting and Dismounting.
  13. Pressurize the tire to 276 kPa (40 psi) and inspect for leaks.
  14. Adjust tire pressure to meet the placard specification.
  15. Balance the tire/wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Assembly Balancing - Off-Vehicle.
  16. Install the tire and wheel assembly onto the vehicle. Refer to the appropriate service procedure in SI.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Nitrogen Nothing like your money away! But that's a topic covered in another thread.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:03 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I'm going to put helium in my tires to make them lighter and get better milage.

/highjack

Old 01-10-2011, 05:19 PM
racsan is on a distinguished road

i want to put propane or either in my tires after a local christmas eve tire slasher went through the niegborhood, only got one of my tires but still, if they had been smoking, it would have been worth blowing up the truck, dont know if any flammable gasses are detrimental to rubber though. imagine a actetelne filled tire being knifed by someone smoking, poetic justice right there. never bought into the nitrogen thing.

Quick Reply: alloy wheels prone to leakage?