Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

alloy wheels prone to leakage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 02:11 PM
Beginning Member
Bazz Smitbar is on a distinguished road

Its some form of paint spray I am presuming. Its very durable, I have found that out when prizing off the hub caps. A special etching primer is used to provide the correct bond and prevents the paint lifting. Wheels have a very good reputation and are in several UK cities.

By the way, its my 1999 Blazer I have had the refurbs on. I know a Jaguar owner who had 'Wheels' refurbish his wheels several years ago, still going strong

Last edited by Bazz Smitbar; 03-31-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:13 AM
Starting Member
quickcurrent is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bazz Smitbar
Its some form of paint spray I am presuming. Its very durable, I have found that out when prizing off the hub caps. A special etching primer is used to provide the correct bond and prevents the paint lifting. Wheels have a very good reputation and are in several UK cities.

By the way, its my 1999 Blazer I have had the refurbs on. I know a Jaguar owner who had 'Wheels' refurbish his wheels several years ago, still going strong
Thanks, I am surprised they don't use high end forged alloy wheels on Jaguars so they don't have that problem! I have a 2000 Mustang with terrific alloys on it that have never given me any trouble with air leakage, pitting from salt or anything. The air pressure on those wheels is always the same when i check it every six months or so, occasionally they will be down one pound, but that's it.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:11 PM
Beginning Member
cardude59 is on a distinguished road

MOST OF YOU GUYS GET IT! THE PROBLEM WITH ALLOW WHEELS IN THE RUST BELT(MI.WI.IL.IN.OH.MN.IA) IS THE F%^KING SALT USED ON THE ROADS IN THE WINTER. THE SALT CORRODES THE ALUMINUM AND IT PITS AND TURNS WHITE. THIS CRAP NEEDS TO BE REMOVED WITH A WIRE WHEEL ON A BUFFER AND THEN THE BEAD AREA POLISHED. THEN YOU APPLY A THICK(AS IN RUNNING DOWN THE WHEEL) LAYER OF tech BRAND BEAD SEALER AND THEN MOUNT AND BALANCE THE TIRE. THIS NOT A PERMANENT REPAIR BUT IT DOES HOLD FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS. TRUST ME I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS TO ALUM WHEELS FOR 30 YEARS. PUTTING GOOP IN THE TIRES IS NOT..REPEAT NOT THE ANSWER! I SORRY THAT SALT AND ALUM ARE NOT FRIENDS BUT, THAT'S THE WAY IT IS HERE IN THE RUST BELT. GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY YOUR BLAZERS.

Last edited by cardude59; 04-03-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-07-2015, 04:36 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by cardude59
MOST OF YOU GUYS GET IT! THE PROBLEM WITH ALLOW WHEELS IN THE RUST BELT(MI.WI.IL.IN.OH.MN.IA) IS THE F%^KING SALT USED ON THE ROADS IN THE WINTER. THE SALT CORRODES THE ALUMINUM AND IT PITS AND TURNS WHITE. THIS CRAP NEEDS TO BE REMOVED WITH A WIRE WHEEL ON A BUFFER AND THEN THE BEAD AREA POLISHED. THEN YOU APPLY A THICK(AS IN RUNNING DOWN THE WHEEL) LAYER OF tech BRAND BEAD SEALER AND THEN MOUNT AND BALANCE THE TIRE. THIS NOT A PERMANENT REPAIR BUT IT DOES HOLD FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS. TRUST ME I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS TO ALUM WHEELS FOR 30 YEARS. PUTTING GOOP IN THE TIRES IS NOT..REPEAT NOT THE ANSWER! I SORRY THAT SALT AND ALUM ARE NOT FRIENDS BUT, THAT'S THE WAY IT IS HERE IN THE RUST BELT. GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY YOUR BLAZERS.
Just the same on British roads, grit and salt and the resulting corrosion every Winter. I had my wheels refurbed mainly to get rid of the white powdery mess visible on the outside, bead sealer had already been applied successfully when I had all four tyres replaced a couple of years ago. The hub caps that cover the wheel nuts were another matter, an aluminium with the black Chevy bow tie logo on it, Wheels would not refurb them BUT they come off the grey plastic inners that snap onto the wheels. I spray painted these grey covers in blue and they look fine and no further corrosion worries with them.

Last edited by Bazz Smitbar; 04-07-2015 at 04:42 AM. Reason: four not for!
Old 04-07-2015, 04:41 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by quickcurrent
Thanks, I am surprised they don't use high end forged alloy wheels on Jaguars so they don't have that problem! I have a 2000 Mustang with terrific alloys on it that have never given me any trouble with air leakage, pitting from salt or anything. The air pressure on those wheels is always the same when i check it every six months or so, occasionally they will be down one pound, but that's it.
Cast magnesium alloy I think? Jaguars are 'built to a price' like most other cars but maybe if it was a BMW or Mercedes they would have been better quality, I wouldn't be at all surprised.