Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Almost Lost A Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 03:51 PM
95_4door is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Almost Lost A Wheel

I got up for work the other day and got in my truck to leave. I got around the block and my truck started to make a thump, thump noise as I drove, forward and reverse. I could feel it also. I didn't want to take any chances, so I took the truck home and took my wife's car to work.
When I got home from work, I jacked the front end up to take a look. I started on the drivers side, I leaned on the wheel to get a closer look and it moved. When I went to take it off, I only had ONE LUG NUT left on it, not to mention only one stud also. I either pissed somebody off, or when they balanced my tires, they didn't tighten them all the way. The one lug that was left on was only threaded on about 1/4 inch, and the threads were totally screwed up.
I went to work and bought 5 new lugs and studs, I went ahead and got the longer studs just to have them, they are about a 1/2 inch longer than stock.
I got really lucky that my wheel didn't fly off while I was driving, not to mention if I had my son with me.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:32 PM
blznlowxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Almost Lost A Wheel

dang thats crazy man, im glad you didnt lose it though

Old 10-24-2007, 11:25 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Man that is scary!
A few years ago ( I was driving a '66 mustang), I stopped in at a bar and had a couple of beers. When I left, I headed out on the highway. Iwas travelling at 70 mph and I saw something fly past my drivers' window so I started to slow down. It's a good thing I did because my left rear wheel came off and the left rear 1/4 panel was dragging on the highway.
I walked down the road a way and retrieved my tire, took one wheel nut off the other 3 wheels and put the l/rear back on.
I figure someone tried to steal my wheels while I was in the bar.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:45 AM
Millertime21 is an unknown quantity at this point

about a year ago I had a 86 bronco with a 6inch lift and 35" tires. It was about 3:00am and I was driving home. I made a right hand turn and then it started driving funny and making a loud scraping noise. I jump out and I'm missing my drivers side back tire. The tire must have rolled over 100yards away and took me about 1.5hrs to find. Was not a fun night.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:53 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: 95_4door

I leaned on the wheel to get a closer look and it moved. When I went to take it off, I only had ONE LUG NUT left on it, not to mention only one stud also. I either pissed somebody off, or when they balanced my tires, they didn't tighten them all the way.
Bill,

Check out the thread Wheel Fell Off! It seems our trucks don't like it when you don't re-torque the wheels after they've been put back on. Any time the wheels are taken off and put back on, be sure to check them again in a few days to torque them again. I also found out the hard way, and fortunately my wheel didn't come off completely.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:29 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

dang 95_4door that sounds like someone was trying to get your wheels but was unsuccessful at that and left them for you to deal with it good thing your allright same with all who its happened to wow, i only had one incident in my maxima i was participating in a traditional cruise that we here in phoenix used to have called the cruise on central and when leaving and away from everyone i had tire go rollin right by me thankgod for air ride case i set my car to pull a rear three wheel so i didn't drag it on the ground whew

Old 10-25-2007, 07:24 PM
blznlowxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point

i know a guy who had the same problem a few years ago. it was on a 1987 full size chevy. it was on 44's and he had the wrong lug nutsfor the type of wheels he had. he was coming down the mtn and got a really bad vibration and pulled over and found it