Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Better steering for wider tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 10:42 PM
littleman69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Better steering for wider tires?

Does anyone know anything about upgrading the steering system or if its possible? I just bought some really wide wheels (10.5") with some really wide tires (275x60x15) and before i start lifting my blazer to fit these under the fenders i was wondering if it was going to be hard on my steering components and if there was a way to improve it. Any idea's or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Beginning Member
jimjohnson is an unknown quantity at this point

dont those only equal out to 28" tires?

as for steering i wouldnt see any problems, i have 10" wide wheels and the only problems ive seen are lower ball joints which is pretty common for s-series trucks.
the biggest problem your going to have with those rims is rubbing the lower rear of the front fenders, but then again those arnt that big of tires.

what kind of backspacing do you have on those rims?

Old 03-03-2009, 11:00 PM
littleman69 is an unknown quantity at this point

not sure on the backspacing but they stick out really far. I tried to put one on the front and yes it rubbed the back of the fender a bit. not much, i could prolly turn the torsion bars up a bit and be okay but i dont know if i want to do that. Do your wheels rub the frame at all?

Old 03-04-2009, 07:07 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Your fitment issues are due more to a problem with your back spacing on the new rims than due to the width of the tire.

Yes, a 275/60R15 tire is a 28" tall tire... Not really gaining anything but width.

You should not have any problems with your steering. Many people have larger tires than you and do not have issues.