Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

lower air for snow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 04:25 PM
ptg327 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default lower air for snow?

so i screwed around with my Blazer yesterday for about 2 hours trying to get it into 4 wheel drive with no luck. my question is that i hear that if i drop my air pressure in my M/S tires from about 35 to 30 i will get all kinds of traction. i know this is true with off roadin and muddin and such but is it helpful in the snow?

Old 12-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: lower air for snow?

In snow, you want to lower your contact patch to increase your contact pressure. Airing up your tires in the winter (within the specs on the sidewall of the tire) would be somewhat beneficial to cut through the snow and get to the road surface.

Old 12-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

People who air down for snow are usually running larger tires and are wanting to float on top of the snow. Generally off roading when the snow is quite deep. From what I've read no gain in lowering air pressure for the street.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:39 PM
ptg327 is an unknown quantity at this point

yea they are just reqular tires not snows. they are wide and not narrow like snows so thats why i figured if i lowered the air pressure then it would work out better. i threw four 80 pound bags of salt in the back. im just tryin to max out my traction ability cause i like to be unstopable. kind of like when i had working 4x4 or my awesome in the snow with any tires bonneville and lumina i just could not get stuck in those cars they were amazing

Old 12-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you are talking on road and not crawling around the woods, then you want to push through the snow as much as possible. To do that, you should have your tires aired up, not down.

Old 12-19-2008, 03:30 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

4x4 only makes you go better and hold traction better. It does nothing to make you stop any better. That falcy is why you see SUV in the ditch more than other vehicles. Most think the can go faster and stop faster with 4x4, ain't so.

As to your question. fix the 4x4. There aren't too many parts to it that fail. Vacuum switch, dash switch, t-case motor, or a vacuum hose. Pretty m uch all there is too it.