Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Problems upgrading in steps

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 10:32 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default Problems upgrading in steps

Alright, this will hopefully be a quick opinon poll for you experienced tire guys. I'm a poor college kid, and I wanna upgrade my tires and rims. I want to get some black rock crawler rims (synergy offroad!), but I cant afford to not eat for long enough to get tires and wheels at the same time.

SO, I would like some input. I want the wheels to look very clean, and I feel like keeping 15x7s and then going with 10.5in wide tire in the future would be dangerous/look un-classy. Conversely, the 15x8s are pretty close to the stock 9.25in wide tire I have on now, and would that ratio be too small, and look funny. Am I over-thinking this and the stock tires will be fine on 15x8 wheels?

Basically, I can't pick between 15x7s or 15x8s. Is there any real pros or cons to one as opposed to the other, or am I splitting hairs?

THANK YOU so much for the help!

ps, if this has already been discussed, and I am a complete failure at using the search button (i promise i tried), please throw down a link for me and lock the thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:52 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Problems upgrading in steps

You should be fine with either I would think. What size tires are you wanting to get later? Planning on any lifting etc?

Old 12-05-2007, 07:42 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I wanna go up to 31s, not sure how wide, but definitely wider than stock. In the works are a 2' Body lift, and 1.5 shackles/t-bar or similliar height. I might stick with 30s because I was reading through some of the other posts, and the extra .5' of clearance might not be worth the possible rub when in parkling lots and what not.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:02 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

You should pm Rcars2 he has 33's on his and he still has a set of 31's, I don't believe he rubbed with 31's with shackles and t-bar crank plus a 2 or 3 inch body lift, I would pm him he can give you alot of info right off the bat!!!

Old 12-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Go with 31's I'd say. Depends on the backspacing of the wheels if they will rub the frame/sway bar or fenders if at all.