Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Question about 22"s Rims

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 08:33 PM
Stopphn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Question about 22"s Rims

Ok fellas the info is very helpfull, but I still have more questions. What happens if I didn't get my truck programed? If I plan on changing my rims (stock)during the winter is it worth getting the truck programed for 22" rims? And I guess this last question is for state, where in Raleigh, Nc can I get this done?

Old 03-27-2008, 08:58 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Well..first you only really need a reprogram to account for increased overall wheel diameter. If you get a low profile tire that keeps the 22' rim and tire combo at stock size, you shouldn't need a reprogram (other than wanting extra power to overcome the weight gain of 22's). If you do go with a bigger combo, you need to reprogram because your speedometer will be off, as will your odometer readings.

I tracked my real speed via handheld GPS and after my tire size change I was looking at a 2-4 mph difference (a little hard to tell exactly due to a second delay or so on GPS speed calculation) from what the speedo read (speedo read 45, I'm going 47). Also I had to check my mileage because I've got a bad fuel level sender, so I have to watch my trip odometer to know when to refill. This made it particularly interesting because with the wider tire you also lose MPG...basically I have to fill up ~200 miles as opposed to ~230 before.

Lastly! As for where to get it done in Raleigh, I have not been able to locate a place that will. My favorite two mechanics said they can't, dealer said they don't have the capability (probably a lie, but how can I argue). A handheld programmer can do it, but as I understand it a handheld programmed ECU will not pass inspection so you have to return to stock for inspection then reprogram later..

I'll eventually get a new ECU from Wait4Me preformance this summer..or as soon as I have the funds.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Stopphn is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks State! I have 22's with low profile tire so the dia. is real close to stock. Is there anotherway I can get more power in the truck to count to the extra weight? With stock and can on 401 miles from full-to empty. I am not sure what I can get w/ 22's, but thats keeping it at 75mph. If I didn't get my truck programed would I be ok? It sound like this programing thing isa pain in the A%&! Is there anything I might want to look into doing to keep the truck running smooth?