Tires and Wheels What skins are you rollin' around on? Discuss wrapping your rims in here.

Question about Soft 8's and stock tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 06:36 PM
IanD is on a distinguished road
Question Question about Soft 8's and stock tires

Has anyone managed to put some Soft 8's on the stock tires (235/75-15)? What size rim should I get? I was guessing 15x7s? I'm not looking into getting larger tires for the time being, seeing as I just got some new ones a couple months ago. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Also, I've done some looking around on the forum and I haven't quite found anything.. I have an 00 Blazer LS (4 door, 4 wheel drive)

Old 03-03-2012, 07:43 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by IanD
Has anyone managed to put some Soft 8's on the stock tires (235/75-15)? What size rim should I get? I was guessing 15x7s? I'm not looking into getting larger tires for the time being, seeing as I just got some new ones a couple months ago. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Also, I've done some looking around on the forum and I haven't quite found anything.. I have an 00 Blazer LS (4 door, 4 wheel drive)
I don't know anyone who has, but 15x7s would fit. I don't know the backspacing of the cragar soft's on the top of my head, but most likely you will have to do some trimming to make them fit. I'm thinking the cragar's have between 3 and 4.5 inches of backspacing so trimming is likely.

Edit: Just looked it up. I found some cragar soft 8's that are 15x8 with 4 inches of backspacing that will fit. Link

Be prepared to trim some fender though. Get your sawzall ready.

Here is someone in your same boat. I searched the forum and found this thread.... Click

Last edited by tibby; 03-03-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:25 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

I think they have a 15x7 wheel with 4.25" backspacing so it will have the same offset as the one in tibby's first link. With a 235mm section width, I'd stick with a 7" wheel instead of 8" wide.

From looking in your album, your truck is 4WD which has 6" backspacing. If you get soft-8's that have less backspacing, the wheel/tire will sit out farther which could potentially cause interference with the rear edge of the front fenders

Old 03-04-2012, 01:08 AM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Ehhh i highly doubt you will have to do trimming if you only have stock tire height.. Maybe and just maybe the tires will rub at full lock and flex.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:03 AM
IanD is on a distinguished road

Okay, thanks everyone. I still haven't made up my mind on what I am going to do yet, I'm stuck on these soft 8s but for the time being I think I am just going to leave them stock and plasti-dip them.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:10 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by 97cherryblazer
Ehhh i highly doubt you will have to do trimming if you only have stock tire height.. Maybe and just maybe the tires will rub at full lock and flex.
You don't think so? The cragar's have around 4 inch backspacing. He will most likely rub the back side of the fender on his front tires because the tires are pushed out. Especially if he does any kind of off-roading. Just sayin... There is a very slim chance they would rub at full lock too since the tires are pushed out further.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Beginning Member
Nepa is on a distinguished road

I considered the soft 8's for a long time myself, just decided i didnt feel like cutting or trimming anything. I painted the stock wheels black and painted the center caps and lug covers silver. I think it came out ok and I didnt have to screw around with anything. Was alot cheaper too!

Old 03-21-2012, 10:24 PM
Beginning Member
azzr2 is on a distinguished road

I know this is an old thread, but I just got the soft 8's myself. 15x8's

Here's my thread and the modifications I have to do to make them fit properly.
keep in mind, at the moment it's still work in progress.

Quote from Tibby: Edit: Just looked it up. I found some cragar soft 8's that are 15x8 with 4 inches of backspacing that will fit. Summit Racing - Cragar Soft 8

Here's my thread.
AZZR2's Cragar Soft 8 Thread

Last edited by azzr2; 03-21-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Red 96' will become famous soon enoughRed 96' will become famous soon enough

My rims are basically the same as the Soft 8's. They are 15x8 Pro Comp Rock crawlers with a 4.5" backspacing I believe. I had them on my truck for a while with the stock tires with absolutely no rubbing issues. Although, that was with a 1.5" T-bar crank.