2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ignition problem maybe???idk i need help...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 04:08 PM
MeXiCaNcHuLo is on a distinguished road

ok so last week im driving home from work (in a 2001 blazer extreme), i go to use my right turn signal and it flashes extremly fast. im thinking ive got a bad bulb??? it does it for 30 seconds then just cuts out. now i have no right signal at all. i get home, turn the key to off, pull the key out of the ignition, and realize its still running. i pump the brake and it finally dies. now...when the key is not in the ignition, and you press the brake, the accessories come on, radio, my left turn signal will power up when hitting the signal switch, but...the right turn signal will kill everything. i was thinking MAYBE the ignition harness? but i would like to get professional advice. thanks in advance.

also...i forgot to add...my brake light are on while i drive.

Last edited by swartlkk; 08-31-2011 at 04:45 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:46 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have a look at the wiring under the dash. Sounds like you have a short in the system. It doesn't sound like the ignition switch is the source, but some of the wiring for the ignition is likely involved.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:01 PM

howcould i tell of a short when looking at it? would a wire be burned?

Old 08-31-2011, 05:06 PM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

burnt insulation on wires, missing insulation, burnt smell, bare wires touching the body. It will be pretty obvious in most cases.

Edit: (it will be pretty obvious once you find the right harness) lol. Just look at all the wiring you can find, It'll be time consuming but looking is free. Start with the wiring coming in from the firewall under the dash, and the wiring going to the fuse box and up to the ignition. That'd be where i'd start at least.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:55 PM

ok thanks guys, im going to look at it tmw

Old 09-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Beginning Member
charrliy525 is an unknown quantity at this point

My 2000 blazer LS 2door 2W.Drive 4.3LT Had brake lights stayen on,Brake pedal would illuminate the dash lights when off(no key in ignition)Turn signals-HAH!! Hit the right one everything would flash,Hit the left one and it wouldnt flash but the every other light would,Swear it was like the car was possesed.Heres the deal:THE FRGGN multifunction switch in these blazers from 1998-2005 or whatever years is junk!!!It has 1 little strip of copper that is supose to handle the turnsignals,the emergengy lights,the wiper controls,high beam/headlight controls,and they put that electrolite grease on it all and over short time periods or long,it goops up and crosses signals or like me here in florida were we run our wipers,headlights,high beams and turn signals daily with the rain,they over heat and burn up and cuase the copper/brass plate to cross wires.There are posts on how to clean this strip annualy or every 6 months to make it last longer,found online and maybe on here? But my ride was doin the samething as yours twice,first time it was a bad fuse that didnt test bad but made my brake lights stay on and tach not to work,second time when all my lights were doin what yours are doing,it was the multifunction switch.
these switch assemblies use to cost 600.00+ or 300.00 aftermarket,But i just checked and autozone now carries them for my ride anyways and its only 120.00 and up.
So i hope this helps.Dont know the test procedures for this unit,i just pulled mine(and it is a pain in the arrss) And saw rite of back that it was burnt up as soon as i got far enough into the column to see the unit.Check this multiswitch and fuses under the hood first,before you waste any time ripping the dash apart checking wires.
HOPE THIS HELPS??

Old 09-05-2011, 07:21 PM

thats exactly what it was! thanks for your help guys. greatly appreciated

Old 11-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Beginning Member
charrliy525 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Woo-hoo!!!

Just logged on to find the cuase of my newest chevy s10 blazer 2000 problem and saw this post i posted on last time,Then saw i had the answer,THATS GREAT,I FINNALY REPLIED TO A POST AND HELPED SOME ONE OUT.I`M STOKED!! And here i thought after years of posting replies,No one ever used them,I have had my 2000 blazer since new,And have had ever issue imaginable or more like,Usual that goes out on these clunkers we love so much.Glad to help,Theres also a thread on here that i found that shows how to clean that strip real easyly,I do mine every 6 months and you wouldnt believe the crud that gets on it in just 6 months.thanks again and god bless.