Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

My small 96 Blazer build

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 06:33 AM
Tajohns34 is on a distinguished road

Wow, that guy really took the time to organize everything. For $450 you pretty much stole that engine, even with 150k.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:44 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

327!!!!

Old 12-19-2014, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

The guy was super **** about being organized and keeping records! He said it's because he had learned he has to be after teaching high school students for 15 years! His records that he showed me included details down to when and how much air he put into each tire!! When I looked at the motor and records and struck the deal on the motor all I knew he was including was what was on the engine stand I didn't even know the bin full of parts and ecm were included until the motor was loaded in my truck and he came walking out lugging the tub saying "here's a couple extra's you can have" score for me the best part of it all is that I didn't even have to load it he made his students load it for me!

I stated yesterday that I wouldn't be doing much more than a cam and head work but I may change up the intake for an ls6 intake and larger throttle body as well. I love the look of the Ls1 intake but the truck intakes flow more air and I have plenty of space so unless I find a killer deal on an Ls1 intake I won't be running one.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:56 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

So that's what the inside of my engine looks like. Only got 72k on mine, so *HOPEFULLY* ... knock on wood .... I won't be tearing into it anytime soon. Although if I keep taking loads like that '69 Case 580 with full bucket and backhoe setup, I'll probably be rebuilding it sooner rather than later ...

I have to ask though ... been around engines my whole life & never heard of DBC / DBW intakes. What do those acronyms stand for?

Old 12-19-2014, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

I'm picking up an engine stand from my buddy today so hopefully I can get into the motor by next week if not it will probably be after the new year. I pulled the plus and they all looked like you want then to and they have about 15k on then so they aren't brand new but look good.

DBC- drive by cable
DBW- drive by wire

Old 12-20-2014, 06:35 AM

Ahhh gotcha - thanks for the info. I couldn't make the connection!

Personally I'd rather have a cable - a bit more work to install, but much less to go wrong down the road.

I'd slap a carb on that if it were mine ...

Old 12-20-2014, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

The funny part is the cable is actually way easier to install and only requires building or buying (about $35 on eBay) a bracket to hold the cable and you can reuse the factory throttle cable. For the dbw you have to install a new pedal assembly and associated wiring.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:52 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Smitty Smithsonite
Ahhh gotcha - thanks for the info. I couldn't make the connection!

Personally I'd rather have a cable - a bit more work to install, but much less to go wrong down the road.

I'd slap a carb on that if it were mine ...
Like power windows versus crank, just something else to go wrong

Old 12-21-2014, 08:44 AM

Yeah that's my line of thought. The less wires, the better.

My Silverado is about halfway to 73k miles. 8 model years old in '15 though. I'm just waiting for all the failures to begin ...

The complete service manual for my truck is 4 books standing nearly 2' high. Over 1,000 pages for engine controls alone .... then there's a whole other 1k page book just for interior entertainment/comfort systems ...

Old 12-21-2014, 09:25 AM
chevyman0784 is on a distinguished road

Now I need to get a 6.0 lol -.-

Quick Reply: My small 96 Blazer build