1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

84 door locks replacing, need insight

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 01:48 AM
BradensCreed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 84 door locks replacing, need insight

new to the whole chevy scene, well, the whole domestice scene really. bought an 84 2wd 2 door with the 2.8 v6 with 2 barrel carb. needs some work but its nothing major. what is concerning me is the lack of no key for the doors, and no key/lock cylinder for the back glass. noticed lmc.com has a door lock kit for $22 and if it comes whith what i need that would be awesome. problem is ive never tackled something like this, if anyone has before and can tell me what to expect that would really help out.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Default RE: 84 door locks replacing, need insight

no one ever done this?! i find that hard to believe... come on guys...i dont need a step by step tutourial, just a couple hints and tips, hell do i need to write a review once i am done... doesnt seem like there are many pre 90's guys out there...

Old 08-02-2007, 07:01 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Please do not bump a post after only 10 hours... Come on. If you needed instant information, it won't be free.

Anyway, how about a manual for your truck? Have you even opened things up to see what is holding the locks in? Typically it is just a spring clip or simple retainer. Pop the door panels and rear gate panel off and have a look.

And before you knock the site, think of how often locks go bad... Right, not that often. So infrequently that I have never had to pull a lock in all of the vehicles I have owned or serviced. I have seen the insides of all kinds of doors over the years and every one is different...

Old 08-02-2007, 09:45 PM

have i offened you?! im sorry, im not "knocking" this site at all, im a big fan of forums. no need to get smart about this either. ive never had to open a door lock and replace it, but like i said, i dont have the key for the doors and the tailgate doesnt even have a door lock cylinder. i am just asking if anyone has ever had to replace one, not how many people have never had to.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What I told you if you had read my post instead of picking it apart to make it seem like I am pissed at you or something, is that they really aren't that difficult. Pull the door apart and have a look. Just because I have stated that I have never had to pull them, doesn't mean that I don't know how a 'typical' lock cylinder is removed. Many of the older Chevy locks had a spring clip that slid into a groove on the outside of the lock cylinder. You'll need to remove the linkage from the back of the cylinder first, then remove the spring clip and the lock will be pulled out from the outside of the door.

Some more advice I can give is to buy the lock set for your vehicle and take a look at the parts you get. That will give you a great idea on how things go together. Plus they may even come with instructions...

Old 08-02-2007, 11:15 PM

AHA! thank you! good insight. i have bought the manual and have looked through it on a few subjects and sometimes what they say and how they say it can get a little difficult being that most were written some time ago. but thank you.