1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

emissions removal 84 2.8 v6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 10:24 PM
BradensCreed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default emissions removal 84 2.8 v6?

anyone have a good write up or know where get one for removing the emissions on an 84 2dw 2 door s10 blazer with the 2.8 v6 2 barrel carb? vac lines are all wrong and i dont know what this guy did before i got it form him. i have no emissions where i live and would love to just remove everything thats not nessisary and clean the engine bay up a little. ac is out so ill be removing it tomorrow, what about the air pump and what not. dod i need block off plates? who makes them? what do i have to re-route? who has done this? help!?!

Old 08-02-2007, 07:12 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: emissions removal 84 2.8 v6?

As I'm sure you know, tampering with emissions equipment is a federal crime...

Anyway, I'm sure you could get creative with some pipe plugs to remove the air pump and lines... I don't think there are any monitoring devices on that old of a truck to turn on a check engine light if the smog pump isn't operating (or even there).

As far as the A/C, I'd fix it... Its cheaper in the long run to fix the system unless you never want it back...

Old 08-02-2007, 09:41 PM

you are right, it is illegal, but in this state there are no emission laws. reason i am asking really is the smog pump is making a horrible noise, and is leaking air all around. as for the ac, it doesnt work, compressor does not kick on, and the lines are bone dry. i will probably remove it just to free up some room. also ive seen the alternator being relocated to the smog pump bracket. how hard is this? or maybe i should ask what all does it entale? will the wires reach coming from the alt or do i need to lengthen them? just curious.... thank you.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You may have fun attempting to move the alt down to the smog pump location... From what I remember from my old '85 S10 2.8L, the brackets really aren't alike down there... You're trying something that, while it may have been tried before, those people that tried it are VERY few and far between. I wish you the best of luck.

Ever thought of just replacing the smog pump and figuring out why the AC compressor is not kicking on... It could just be a faulty low pressure cut-off switch or low refridgerant charge in the AC system...

Old 08-02-2007, 10:15 PM

i would love to have ac, i live in south carolina. i will probably leave it on for now, as i have bigger issues to work out first. as for the smog pump, everything having anything to do with the pump ie lines hoses and switch box are all bad. i dont have the money to put into replacing all of those parts when all its for is emissions. im having a major struggle with paying the fix/replace all that if it saves a couple mpg or a lil bit of ozone. and if you say the alt. isnt a good idea, well ill take that one to heart. can i ask why you are trying to discourage me instead of helping me? im not being smart, just, genuinely wondering....

Old 08-02-2007, 10:38 PM
Administrator

I feel it is my responsibility to keep people from getting themselves or others in trouble. That goes double for breaking federal laws.

The smog pump actually improves the efficiency and life of the catalytic converter. So by removing the smog pump, you will be cutting the life of your converter... Now if you truely don't have laws requiring intact emissions systems, then you may not have a problem with removing the catalytic converter sometime down the road. But who's to say that your state won't adopt the same emissions laws that many other states have already and you'll be stuck either dumping the truck or fixing it up to meet the regulations.

I went through the whole thing on my old '85 S10. Never knew it even had a smog pump or the air injection manifolds on the exhaust manifolds. Mine came with pipe plugs in the holes... Well that was until I HAD to replace them and the catalytic converter which soon after purchasing the truck rattled loose and plugged up the whole exhaust system.

So see, I'm not picking on you, I'm speaking from experience and wasted money.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:27 PM

i understand what you are saying. and they have been talking about bringing back inspections, but it doesnt look like thats going to happen, so from the legal aspect im not concerned as of right now. what i am concerned with is if the pump and related parts are not working efficiently, is that going to adversely effect my motor? because honestly the whole pump and related parts are so far screwed i would have to replace everything! like i said, i bought this for $500 and im trying to diagnose some other issues before dumping more money into. no point if its not going to last. so will the smog pump and all its holes and leaks and related parts goign to screw up my idle/mpg/ or cause "dieseling"? ive had this for i think 4 days now and i am trying to assess if this vehicle is worth fixing. my main priority right now is the dieseling as it just started last night. carbon build up...hot spots... lean mixture... high idle dumping too much fuel and not closing...that is my concern, smog pump ad emissions i will deal with once i know the motor will last the summer.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Your smog pump shouldn't be affecting anything but the cat. So you shouldn't be having any issues with the idle or shutdown of the engine being caused by the pump.

Now if you have some vacuum line issues, that could be a cause for idle problems. Diagnose vacuum leaks with an unlit propane torch or can of starter fluid. If the idle increases at certain points along a vacuum line, you have a leak.

For the dieselling, I would recmmend that you run some seafoam through the intake to clean out any carbon deposits in the intake and cyilinders (run a search on seafoam for the procedure). You'll want to have plugs ready to put in, but if you already have replaced the plugs, then you'd just need to pull them to check and make sure that nothing has fouled them. You'll also want to change you oil after a seafoam treatment so if you just changed the oil, wait until right before the next oil change to use seafoam.

Another possible cause of dieselling is improper timing. I suggest you put a timing light on the engine and verify proper ignition timing and advance. These things should be covered in your manual, but if you need more specifics, please let us know.

Old 08-03-2007, 12:03 AM

seafoam, ive heard good things about it, but seeings as you recommended it i will have to pick some up, just changed the oil though so ill hold off for now. and the unlit propane torch, good idea, didnt think about that, better than spraying flamable liquid all ofver the motor. will give it a try, and nice to know the smog pump will not effect anything major, like i said, the dieseling is my main concern as of right now. thank you for your help.