1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Fuel filter stuck - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 05:46 PM
Starting Member
whycantigetthisfixed is on a distinguished road

i am having a similar problem with 99 blazer. i got the hard plastic part closest to engine side off of filter, but the rust on the tank side is absolutely a lost cause. damn michigan winters i guess have rusted beyond fix. what options do i have. we are almost positive it is a bad fuel pump, so i am gonna take the gas tank down this weekend. should i wait to take the tank out. i mean would this give me easier access to the fuel line to just remove the whole line. if so, what product should i use to put back in? thanks

Old 04-19-2012, 02:08 PM
workshop4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Oystein
I also looked over the kit, and it comes with the following:

- Steel repair line, straight 18" or so, flared in both ends. On one end is a nut with threads (to thread into filter)
- 2 O-rings
- 1 Compression fitting, olives are inside it

Not sure why there are two O-rings and both ends are flared.
The compression fitting should not require that, only the filter end (right?). Or is the bundled compression fitting a flare fitting - meaning that I have to flare the lines as well? In that case I better get a flaring tool...
No flaring tool is needed. I'm not sure why the second side of the line is flared, but all the repair kits are like that. Mine included. You have to cut the second flare (the one without the fitting/o-ring) and install your compression fitting on that end. The second o-ring is a backup in case you ruin the first.

Sorry you are not having fun bending the pipe. I was under the impression you bought the replacement line in the back, or were cutting the repair line before any of the bends. Even so, once you get a bending tool it is quick work. Doesn't need to be exact, as long as it starts/ends in the right spot and doesn't rub on anything.

I find a saw is the best way to cut the pipe, it really doesn't take long at all. Other option is to buy a small pipe cutter (like plumbers use) but then its just another tool you really don't need....

Also, for the guy with the Jeep.... the fitting at the back of the intake is the same fitting we are referring to here. The easiest way to find it will be to buy the above mentioned "repair kit". The fitting is flared, uses an o-ring, and is an abnormal size thread. Thus, add a compression fitting or flare fitting to your existing lines... and tie it into one of the repair lines to mate with the back of the intake/nut-kit.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Oystein is on a distinguished road

Got my bending tool today, so will try to get this fixed over the weekend. Looking forward to driving my Blazer again, I've missed it

Old 04-27-2012, 03:08 PM

Damn. I got it bent, fitted, tried to start. "crank crank crank FOUNTAIN".

Looks like the compression fitting is leaking like crazy. My first time using one, so not sure what went wrong, will do a google search for common errors and report back if any progress is made. A bit pi**ed now.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:25 PM

I just wanted to update this: I've got it working. Used the same repair kit, but this time I did the job better and I've seen no leaks so far.

What I made sure to do:
- Did the bending job as accurately as possible, so that the pipes lined up properly. I made sure that the fuel pipes did not hang by the compression fitting, so that they did not need to be forced into position before putting on the compression fitting.
- Left a good amount (at least a full inch) of straight pipe at both sides of the compression fitting (as well as the filter) before the first bends, so that the pipes could definitely go all the way into the compression fitting.

Should have done this the first time around, of course. Well, we all learn new things.