1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

water pump gasket problem maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 05:16 PM
realpriddy is on a distinguished road
Default water pump gasket problem maybe?

My idler pulley got chewed up and mangled the other day...don't ask how because, I don't know. I replaced the pulley, reset the serpentine belt put more water in the radiator (the coolant(water) was effectively boiling it had gotten so hot), it was still running a little on the warm side...Let it sit overnight and started putting water into the radiator and felt tricklets of water hitting me in the shins...upon inspection it looked as if the pressure build-up from overheating had blown the old Lower radiator hose...I just replaced the hose, started filling with water and, now realize the leak is coming from above the hose (where the fan pulley goes into the engine ie: (maybe the water pump). How hard is this to fix myself and is it going to require some crazy specialized tools to do so? Thank you anyone who might can answer my querry!!!!!

Old 07-31-2012, 06:03 PM
Starting Member
doccheese is on a distinguished road

It is most likely your water pump, they fail at shaft there is a hole on the lower part of the pump that leaks when they fail. The water appears to come out of the center of the pump. The job is straight forward, on mine (1988 2.8) I needed to buy a set or large torx drive sockets at harbor for about $10. I left the radiator in and removed the fan, upper shroud, power steering pump and such. You will see what you need to do when you get started. If you can pressure wash the front of the motor, mine was caked with sludge and I wish I had. Took about 2 hours to complete.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:34 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

What year etc do you have? Info like that is very important because people won't know any specifics to a blank vehicle.
The clutch fan mounting bolts may be very tight & you might have to get a straight edge of steel or a large wrench on a bolt & across the pulley or shaft to stop it from turning when you go to remove it.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rottidog
What year etc do you have? Info like that is very important because people won't know any specifics to a blank vehicle.
The clutch fan mounting bolts may be very tight & you might have to get a straight edge of steel or a large wrench on a bolt & across the pulley or shaft to stop it from turning when you go to remove it.
It's a 91 s10 blazer 4.3 L

Old 07-31-2012, 10:35 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

It's a 91 s10 blazer 4.3 L
There ya go.
I'm not privy to '91's so I'm not sure what I say could be actually helpfull.
I'll leave that to the 1st gen affectionado's.
Couple of my Word of the Day words there lol ;-)

Old 08-12-2012, 12:49 PM
Default still having a little trouble

if you read my first thread, I wont have to go back into the detail of the start of my problems. I replaced the water pump. Now a very light smoke appears to be coming from the engine. (Elaborated) When I put the pump on the first time, I didn't realize the gasket on the left side of the pump (above the lower radiator hose, the coolant intake) had slipped. I put water into the radiator realized it was leaking. Started over, got the pump on with no leaks. Started the vehicle and a very light bit of smoke is coming from the engine block, just below the dip stick tube. I guess I am wondering if some of the coolant could have just settled somewhere on the engine and could just be burning off. Or, do you think I have a much more serious problem? Mind you, it is a 91 s10 4.3L V6 Blazer. There could be plenty of dirt oil grime etc. that could possibly be heating up and burning off. Smoke is not super white (like oil would burn) nor is it really dark or black...It really looks like the translucent sort of smoke from water vapor or coolant overheating.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Starting Member
NT_Hardcore is on a distinguished road

it could just be some fluid got o nthe motor and is burning off. when i did mone (87 2.8) i had fluid everywhere. smokes a lil for a few days. then it was fine