2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Need brake rotor/pad advise

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 04:46 PM
Blindthieves is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need brake rotor/pad advise

I got a coupon in the mail from goodyear for a free brake inspection and thought what the hell its free right.
Told them that the abs kicks on constantly and that the parking brake doesn't wor on my 2000 blazer ZR2 96K

They informed me that I needed new:
front pads,
rear rotors,
rear parking shoes,
and a left front hub (reason abs kicks on, Kinda figured)

They quoted me for 450+tax for the brake stuff
I told them I would do the hub myself, because it was just replaced 10 months ago so it still has a warranty.

My question is should I do all new rotors and pads? or just replace what needs to be replaced?
What are some good brands? The Duralast Gold Series from Autozone seems pretty reasonable, any good?

Thanks Evan

Old 10-28-2007, 04:57 PM
cochran07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Need brake rotor/pad advise

that depends on how much money you want to spend on it i guess.. i had to put $200.00 in my rear brakes a month or so ago.. new rotors pads and a right rear caliper that went out. and that was also with an employee discount from advance auto parts.. (worked there before the army and im on "military leave")

Old 10-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer the name brand brake parts (Raybestos/Bendix), but Napa stuff has never let me down.

For pads, I prefer Bendix ceramics or if not available, the Bendix TiMetal2 pads. The equivalent Raybestos pads aren't all that bad either.

Unless there is very little wear on a rotor, I usually replace them. Some places still do rotor turning, but a turned rotor won't last as long as a quality replacement.

Make sure that you clean EVERYTHING really well and re-grease the slider pins on the calipers with high temp caliper specific grease. Also, I clean the surfaces where the pads slide and rest very well. I use anti-squeak compound on the backs of the pads where they contact the caliper to quell any vibrations that my result in brake noise.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:35 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

I would just go ahead and get all new pads and rotors and then do the rear parking shoes too. It shouldnt be too hard to do yourself, I can tell you it will be a whole lot easier than doing ball joints. As far as brands to get, I would think that the duralast brand would be fine (as long as you get the highest quality version), or raybestos, brembo, or bendix. As far as pads I have heard good things about HAWK performance pads that have reduced brake dust, otherwise I would just get the higher end pads that you can find at any auto parts store (bendix, raybestos, or brembo). Good luck and happy shopping.