2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 Rear disc brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 10:21 AM
mlon01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2000 Rear disc brake problem

Did rear disc brakes for the very first time on my wife's 2000. Got caliper off and saw how the pad slides out of the groove and thought wow, this is gonna be way easier and quicker thanfront disc brakes that I have done many times. I was wrong. The pads had to be jimmy'd out with a flat head screwdriver and the new ones wouldn't go in very easily. I even lubed up the slot with the grease they give you but had to "persuade" them in with a screwdriver and a hammer. After a test run the pass side rear wheel was smokin'. Aren't the pads supposed to be able to move freely in that slot? It seems to me that after caliper closes and releases that the new pads will stay jammed up against the rotor. I also noticed after taking the calipers off that the 2 hexagon bolts with the rubber boots move in and out, I guess to accomodate the caliper going back on or the caliper closing and releasing, but one of the "bolts with the rubber boots" would not move. it would turn with a wrench but not go in and out like the others. That was the side that was smokin' but everything seems wrong to me the way all 4 pads went in.

Almost thinking of prying the pads out and slighty filing or grinding the edges that fit into the slots .

Shouldn't these pads slide in somewhat easily? They were the same exact size as the ones I took out.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 2000 Rear disc brake problem

The pads should have never slid in there with any difficulty. They should be snug, but not tight. You probably should have removed the sheet metal wear surfaces (clips) from the caliper bracket and cleaned the bracket very well before putting in new clips. This will require the removal of the caliper bracket to do properly.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:04 AM

Funny.

I'm looking at those clips last night thinking if Iremove them there would be roombut then thought that they are there for a reason.

The only reason I tapped 'em in was the old pads didn't come out very easy and thought then why should the new ones slide in really easy if the old ones didn't.

Hey thanks alot. Feel better now that I know it's ok to remove those clips.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:12 AM

...one other thing though, do those bolts with the rubber boots come out if I keep turning them? The one seems stuck or jammed and doesn't slide (move in and out). I'd like to get under that boot to see why it's not moving or lubricate it.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they come out. They are just pins that slide into the caliper bracket. There should be a hex on the end of the pins where the caliper bolts on. If you cannot turn the pins, then I suggest cutting your losses and getting a new caliper bracket. They're only $16 and you'd mostlikely have to pickup new pins/boots anyhow.

Here's my thread on the subject... --> Rear Disk Brakes...

*EDIT* - Oh and please edit your post if someone hasn't replied and you wish to add more information.