2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2002 blazer xtreme, o2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 11:14 AM
Beginning Member
Abbyblzrxtreme is on a distinguished road

HEy!!!
Guess what!!! The verdict is in, and I passed emissions with flying colors, after driving it just under a week!!!!!!! woooooo!! wooooooo!! lol and my CEL is still off and I have brand spanking new tags and I did all by myself with the help of you guys of course. Feels good! Proud of myself. I wonder how much I saved doing this myself? I spent $170 to fix it, $20 on DEQ and $120 for tags. Anybody know how much a auto body shop would have charged me to work on my car? The guy at Midas thought I had a vacum leak and said it would cost $100 just to find the leak. But I never got any quotes from anybody. Anyways, Thanks again for all you help! I honestly couldn't have done it with out this forums help. How is everybody doing today? Alright! Take it easy
~Abby blazed with a blazer
ps: now if I could edit all my video footage of me fixing my truck, then I could throw it up on youtube..I was going to call it D.I.Y.B.itch.. lol do it yourself bitch! just cause I haven't seen many videos, if any, made by girls working on there vehicles. I know they must exist tho. Anyways, if I get that video up ill put the link here so you guys can check it out if you want
HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Old 03-09-2019, 12:34 PM
Mike.308 is on a distinguished road

I am happy with Your happiness

You not only saved on shop, but also learn something, that may bring You profits in future. Plus, doing such a things, You earn the confidence.
Some say: "give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime."
My son, having a sense of black humor says: "give the man a poisoned fish. You'll feed him till end of his life"

Old 03-10-2019, 01:26 AM
Rock18 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Abbyblzrxtreme
HEy!!!
Guess what!!! The verdict is in, and I passed emissions with flying colors, after driving it just under a week!!!!!!! woooooo!! wooooooo!! lol and my CEL is still off and I have brand spanking new tags and I did all by myself with the help of you guys of course. Feels good! Proud of myself. I wonder how much I saved doing this myself? I spent $170 to fix it, $20 on DEQ and $120 for tags. Anybody know how much a auto body shop would have charged me to work on my car? The guy at Midas thought I had a vacum leak and said it would cost $100 just to find the leak. But I never got any quotes from anybody. Anyways, Thanks again for all you help! I honestly couldn't have done it with out this forums help. How is everybody doing today? Alright! Take it easy
ps: now if I could edit all my video footage of me fixing my truck, then I could throw it up on youtube..I was going to call it D.I.Y.B.itch.. lol do it yourself bitch! just cause I haven't seen many videos, if any, made by girls working on there vehicles. I know they must exist tho. Anyways, if I get that video up ill put the link here so you guys can check it out if you want
HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Awesome news! Glad to hear this!

Rough math, conservative estimates:
-shops usually charge about 30% more (at least) for parts, so about ~$130 for the sensors
-an hour of labor to put them in @ ~$90/hr
-and about 30 min-ish for the MAF sensor and air filter cleaning so $45
-and about 30 min-ish for troubleshooting and diagnostic time so another $45

That puts us at $310 already on a pretty conservative estimate; those 30-min estimates could become 1 hr pretty easy and sensor install might be 90+ min. since they were so stuck, and once adding in shop supply fees etc. it would probably easily be $400+. DEQ and tags shouldn't really be counted for comparison, you'd have to pay them no matter how you got it fixed. Keep in mind too that you can re-use leftover tools, cleaners, supplies etc. so not 100% of those costs should be costed toward this job.

If you're ever looking for help in estimating costs to aid decision-making, check out yourmechanic.com. It'll give you an estimate for what it would cost to hire somebody to come do it and a rough estimate of what shops might charge. It's imperfect but it's quick & easy for a rough guess if you otherwise have no idea what it might cost if you're considering whether to do a job yourself, and can help figure out if a shop is trying to high-ball you on price.

I'd look forward to seeing the video, but I'd encourage you to pick a more SEO-friendly name.

Now we need to work on that oil leak.

Old 03-10-2019, 04:16 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Abbyblzrxtreme
HEy!!!
HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Congrats!! Glad to hear it worked out! Sure post a link to any videos that you want to show!!