2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

All day running lamps?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 06:19 PM
kevin turner is on a distinguished road
Default All day running lamps?

I was wondering if there was a way to turn them off. Like maybe pulling a fuse or something of that nature. I also would like to turn off that thing that makes the head lights kick on when it gets dark ( dont know what its called..lol ).

Old 03-01-2010, 06:35 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

ATRL and DTRL can be disabled. There are a couple of how-to's with the exact resistor you will need to plug in etc.

But first, what year are you? For some of the late modle (99-05) you can push the dome light override button (by the dome dimmer) in and out in rapid succession (in-out-in-out) 3 or 4 complete cycles and you will hear a chime and your lights will be manual control from there.

If the override works for you, you will have to do it each time you start the vehicle.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:35 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

This has already been discussed at length on the forum. There is a how-to on disabling DRL's (daytime running lamps) and also the automatic lights. Just do a quick search and you'll find your answer.
x2 on what Curtis mentions for your vehicle info. You should always post your vehicle year/model when posting a question. It helps us troubleshoot your problem. A good tip is to post it in your sig.
Note that you may want to check your local motor vehicle laws before doing this. In some places it is illegal to drive without DRL's and can land you a pretty hefty fine.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:09 PM

Sorry about that, its a 98 ls 4x4. I live in kentucky so its not a prob.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:55 PM

This is what I came up with so far. On my blazer, in the fuse relay box their is a fuse and a fuse for the dtls. Ive read so much my head hurts..lol. From my undersatnding all years seem to be differnt mines a 98. I looked to see if I could bend the prong on the relay but its numed 12345 no 86 like everyone says to bend. I pulled the relay and the lights still work then put it back in and tryed the fuse and the lights still work. I cant tell if removing ether one works because, its dark here atm. So ill try it in the morning. I still have no for sure way to do this, but im going to play with it in the morning. Some one should make a how to on this and make it sticky..lol( noticed there was alot of people doing this). Ill repile on the fuse really thing tommarow night. Any more thoughts will help

Thanks Kevin