2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Attempted theft, now I can't turn on or move my car :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 01:30 AM
JS-Blazing is on a distinguished road
Default Attempted theft, now I can't turn on or move my car :(

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums and this 1998 Blazer LS 2WD was a hand me down from my father. Last night someone tried stealing the car and messed up everything, they broke the window, pried on the door handle, tried hot wiring it, and even messed up the ignition cylinder and housing. Now I can't move the car or turn it on.

I am very mechanically inclined, I've built my own engine from a bare short block on my other vehicle. So I'm here for some of your guys expertise what I should replace as I plan to tackle this replacement myself.

1. My first question is how do I put it into neutral if the key won't help me put it into neutral?
2. By the looks of the pictures I provided what do you think is needed for repair?

So far all I see is I will need an Ignition Cylinder Switch & Housing Assembly with new cylinder and keys, don't know what else.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Broke the window

Pried on the door handle now it's broken

Cut wires and messed up the ignition

Old 09-11-2022, 01:25 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

As for moving it, easiest thing to do is remove the drive shaft. However, you won't be able to steer it unless they broke the lock in the steering column.

You will need to pull the door panel on the driver's side to see if any damage was done to the handle linkage and lock. From the outside it doesn't look bad, but I can see they really cranked on it.

As for the steering column, I would look to see if anyone sells a rebuild kit for it. If not, I would be looking for a replacement steering column at the junk yard. You may have still have a problem with the security system and I have no clue about that stuff. I think there are some threads on here that talk about that. You will have to carry two keys (like back in the 60s/70s) for the doors and the ignition, though.

Old 09-11-2022, 08:48 PM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

To get it into neutral first set the park brake and block the tires. Then go under the truck and pop the shift cable off the trans and manually put it in neutral.

Old 09-14-2022, 07:09 PM
Mods is on a distinguished road

I dont know if Column shifted trucks have a Neutral Override, for a tow just remove the driveshaft.

Old 09-27-2022, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by AJBert
As for moving it, easiest thing to do is remove the drive shaft. However, you won't be able to steer it unless they broke the lock in the steering column.

You will need to pull the door panel on the driver's side to see if any damage was done to the handle linkage and lock. From the outside it doesn't look bad, but I can see they really cranked on it.

As for the steering column, I would look to see if anyone sells a rebuild kit for it. If not, I would be looking for a replacement steering column at the junk yard. You may have still have a problem with the security system and I have no clue about that stuff. I think there are some threads on here that talk about that. You will have to carry two keys (like back in the 60s/70s) for the doors and the ignition, though.

Originally Posted by Hess13x
To get it into neutral first set the park brake and block the tires. Then go under the truck and pop the shift cable off the trans and manually put it in neutral.
Originally Posted by Mods
I dont know if Column shifted trucks have a Neutral Override, for a tow just remove the driveshaft.
So I bought a full replacement off ebay, it came with the housing, harness, cylinder ignition, and new key. I already started removing everything and didn't have time so i'll continue it tomorrow, i'll keep everyone updated on my progress, only thing bothering me is the steering wheel is locked and I can't figure how to get it free.

Last edited by JS-Blazing; 09-29-2022 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-28-2022, 02:36 PM
Mods is on a distinguished road

future tip, blur your key if you are going to use it

as far as the wheel, the wheel lock is engaged without power, im not sure exactly how that system works but see if you can get the ignition switch installed on its own and click it into ON but not start, you should be able to turn the wheel with the front on jackstands, i wouldnt brute force it down on all 4, unclip the airbag, then shut the truck off, disconnect the battery and wait 30 minutes, remove airbag, wheel (mark which direction its clocked) then you should be able to get the column mechanism replaced

Last edited by Mods; 09-28-2022 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-05-2022, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mods
future tip, blur your key if you are going to use it

as far as the wheel, the wheel lock is engaged without power, im not sure exactly how that system works but see if you can get the ignition switch installed on its own and click it into ON but not start, you should be able to turn the wheel with the front on jackstands, i wouldnt brute force it down on all 4, unclip the airbag, then shut the truck off, disconnect the battery and wait 30 minutes, remove airbag, wheel (mark which direction its clocked) then you should be able to get the column mechanism replaced
Update, I fixed it and the car runs the security lockout took awhile to figure out, but did the cycle three times and car turned on. I'm happy I didn't have to replace anything else, now does anyone know the proper torque spec for the steering wheel nut?