2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Converting lights to comply with UK laws

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 11:39 AM
Beginning Member
esstenner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Converting lights to comply with UK laws

I have cut the two white wires at the brake peddle switch to stop the rear stops working as I need them to be just dir/sig lights. Can I join them together and run a single wire to the rear and spur off to the two rear lights. ?
Here's hoping. Thanks

Old 07-26-2015, 12:22 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

What year, make, model?

Do the stop and turn lamps need to use their own separate filament?

If that's the case, you will need to cut the yellow wire at ONE of the left tail lamp sockets, and the green wire at ONE of the right tail lamp sockets. Then splice a wire from the high mount stop lamp and connect it to the sockets that you cut the yellow and green wires from.

You need to reconnect the white wires where you cut them. Depending on the year, the white wires from the stop lamp switch go directly to the multifunction switch, and the turn signals are split, (left & right) in the multifunction switch.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:05 PM
Beginning Member
Smile

What a day Captain Hook so far I have snipped the yellow wire at the rear light on one bulb holder either side to give me just tail lights and the other bulb holder either side I have snipped the brown to give me just dir/sig, as I said I snipped the whites at the brake peddle and have run two wires to the rear to connect to the snipped yellows on the tail bulb holders to give me brake lights. all functions but I have a feeling by cutting the whites I may have upset the key removal solenoid as I can't get the keys out now, also with all the time I've spent doing this over the last couple of days the battery is flat so can't check much. What I'm doing is not a choice thing I have to comply with the imported vehicle registration laws and the later the car is, the harder they make it Grrrrrrh !!! Its a 2004 2dr LS Blazer 4x4. Thanks for your input, I'll get back on it when I can this week after work if the weather is good ( it rained al day today (typical) I going to know more about what I may have b*gg*r*d up when the battery is charged.
Wish me luck ! :^)
Nige

Old 07-27-2015, 12:49 PM
Beginning Member

Just a quick update Capt'n. Battery charged so keys removed from ign (phew) all my mods seem to work so far I just havn't got the third brake light so assume I will run a separate feed from my new wiring. I'll post again my progress as need to do proper road test to make sure everything functions as it should but difficult as I can't use it on the street yet,
Nige