2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Gas tank relocation. Chevy Blazer ZR2

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 05:42 PM
Michael987899 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tom A
Funny, I've actually been thinking of raising mine up for more ground clearance, since I have a 2"" body lift.
I'm new to this forum and don't exactly know how to respond to individual messages. Let me know if you get this. You don't gain ground clearance by lowering your gas tank. You do gain space to hide stuff that you don't want anybody to see.

Old 08-26-2021, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Michael987899
I'm new to this forum and don't exactly know how to respond to individual messages. Let me know if you get this. You don't gain ground clearance by lowering your gas tank. You do gain space to hide stuff that you don't want anybody to see.
What kind of blazer do you have?

Old 08-26-2021, 06:20 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

I realize that. And it's your Blazer. You can do whatever you want with it, and it's not up to me (or anybody else) to decide whether it's a worthwhile mod or not. For MY needs, the ground clearance I could gain by raising my gas tank (or building a taller one that holds more gas without hanging any lower) would be more useful than the secret compartment you can build by lowering it. That said, I am genuinely interested in how you do it and I'm looking forward to seeing pictures. I was just curious why you wanted to, since that information was not in the original post.

I hope I wasn't coming off as a dick. That wasn't my intent.

Old 08-26-2021, 06:21 PM
BF Veteran

What kind of blazer do you have?
Assuming this was intended for me, the info is in my signature.

Old 08-27-2021, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Tom A
I realize that. And it's your Blazer. You can do whatever you want with it, and it's not up to me (or anybody else) to decide whether it's a worthwhile mod or not. For MY needs, the ground clearance I could gain by raising my gas tank (or building a taller one that holds more gas without hanging any lower) would be more useful than the secret compartment you can build by lowering it. That said, I am genuinely interested in how you do it and I'm looking forward to seeing pictures. I was just curious why you wanted to, since that information was not in the original post.

I hope I wasn't coming off as a dick. That wasn't my intent.
Reply to thread 'Gas tank relocation. Chevy Blazer ZR2'
B

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums
to me
15 hours ago
Details
Dear Michael987899,

Tom A has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Gas tank relocation. Chevy Blazer ZR2 - in the 2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech forum of Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums.

This thread is located at:
https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...0&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Funny, I've actually been thinking of raising mine up for more ground clearance, since I have a 2"" body lift.

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unsubscription information:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit this page:
https://blazerforum.com/forum/subscr...ef7e4d2fd3ec05

To unsubscribe from ALL threads, please visit this page:
https://blazerforum.com/forum/subscr...n&folderid=all
B

---Quote (Originally by Michael987899)--- I'm new to this forum and don't exactly know how to respond to individual messages. Let me know if you ge...
M

Michael Smith
to Blazer
5 minutes ago
Details
I didn't think that you were being a dick. On the contrary I'm glad you replied to my post. I like telling people about my unique mods. Most of the things I do to my vehicles are unnoticeable to the average person. Everyone who knows me will say I do strange things. I'm like Picasso and a vehicle is my canvas. Now as far as the gas tank lowering, the tank is still tucked up between the springs and frame rails enough so that nothing could get to it. It's not terribly low hanging at all. I haven't put it back in the truck permanently yet so I don't have any pictures. But I have put it in several times temporarily to see if the longer bolts and spacers are long enough and the tank doesn't hang down too low. That's the good thing about a ZR2. They are high enough to allow me to do this kind of stuff. All I had to do was buy 4 fully threaded 1/2-13x4 inch long bolts that will hang down through the factory holes in the crossmember where the bottom support straps are bolted on. The top straps attachment points are moved down onto the same bolts that hold the bottom straps on. First the top strap goes onto the bolts with a washer and nut, then a 2 inch spacer made from schedule 40 steel 3/4 inch water pipe fits down over the nut which had to have the corners filed off slightly to allow the spacer to fit down over the nut nicely and contact the top strap and tighten against it and the frame. After the spacer comes the bottom strap and then the final nut and washer. All the fuel lines and wiring still connect up just fine. The filler pipe had to be reconfigured of course and what I did there was cut the pipe just down from the top end and cut out just a little of the pipe and reconnect it with some 2 inch id rubber hose and some clamps. This was necessary so the first bend would be higher and up off the frame far enough. I used a filler pipe from a Ford truck that was the same size and I cut out a section of that pipe to use to lengthen the Blazer pipe just a little. Mostly I just used short sections of the 2 inch id rubber filler hose to reconnect the steel pipe wherever I had to make a cut. The only unique thing I did to the filler pipe was change the angle of attachment of the top end of the filler pipe to the body which I basically just did for the hell of it. I cut into the top side of the plastic collar that attaches the pipe to the quarter panel and spreaded it open some letting the pipe drop down at a steeper angle and then added some more plastic and riveted it back together. I have all kinds of such ideas for things to do that don't cost much money. That's the kind things I like to do. Very subtle changes.

Old 08-27-2021, 08:55 AM
BF Veteran

If you want to quote a post and reply to it, hit the Quote button at the bottom. It will paste the quote into your reply, then you can add your reply. Just make sure to type outside the tags, or whatever you add will be included in the quoted text. For me, at least, it's way easier to do on a computer than on a phone.