2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Gauge and radio problems???

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Beginning Member
bigguy8786 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gauge and radio problems???

Well first off let me say that I have a 2000 Blazer which got inspected a week ago and everything worked fine. Ok well it all started the other night when I was driving home. I was going over a speedbump and all of a sudden my radio went out. About 30 seconds later it came back on and I thought everything was alright. The next morning I was leaving to go to work when I turned on my car I noticed some of my gauges wereworking. My speedometer, rpm gauge, gas gauge along with my radio do not work. Also the digital display to show what gear im in and odometer do not work. I have checked all my fuses and none were blown so I have no idea what is wrong. Any help would be greatful.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Gauge and radio problems???

Have you noticed that the security light on the dash is illuminated when you have these other problems?

Old 08-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Beginning Member

No and my car does not have a security system....i'm guessing thats the security light you are talking about

Old 08-11-2008, 08:53 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Does anything on the gauge work? Or is the whole cluster dead?

Old 08-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

All 98+ trucks have the passkey security system by default which basically just checks the key and allows the engine to start. The reason I ask is that the ignition switch can cause very similar problems when it starts to go out. Very random problems associated with improper voltage passing through to the two ignition sources.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Beginning Member

Ok yeah it is doing very random things like ever since I bought the car when just the battery is on the service engine light comes on but then goes out when the car is started. It still does that but the parking brake light or no seatbelt light do no come on at all anymore. And also i know the battery gauge still works and am pretty sure the oil temp. and engine temp. gauges both work but not certain.

If it is the ignition switch going dead do you know about how much that is going to cost to replace??

Old 08-11-2008, 09:10 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

SES light should stay on while battery is on but not started, as should the batt. light.

book time for ign. switch replacement at a shop is 1.5 hours. multiplied by the shops labor rate (60-100/hr), plus about $60 for the part..