2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Interior lighting remains on

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2024 | 07:00 AM
|
raf702 is on a distinguished road
Default Interior lighting remains on

Hey everyone, I just got a 95 Blazer a day ago. And figured out #2 fuse(20a) was missing. Put a new 20a fuse and now the interior lights won’t shut off.

In fear of draining the battery, I removed the 2 light bulbs under the driver and passenger dash. Since those are the only 2 interior lights working and disconnected the rear view cable. And no other interior lights are working.

I also checked the door jam switches and rear latch switch. And none of the 3 seemed to turn off the lights either when engaged. I also checked the dimmer switch and adjusted it down and no effect either.

I’m thinking of replacing all 3 door jam switches.

Will the battery drain even though I removed the bulbs, and disconnected the rear view cable? Or should I remove the fuse every time I get out of the car(inconvenient) instead?

Thanks!

Old 08-10-2024 | 04:29 PM
Beginning Member
Riganutz is on a distinguished road

Good luck! I am suffering from a similar issue I just left the fuse out... it's been a year and no other issues. I just know as soon as I poke the bear on this one it's going to be a wiring nightmare and ground straps for everyone 🙃😅 so I say again good luck!

Old 08-11-2024 | 10:28 AM
|

Originally Posted by Riganutz
Good luck! I am suffering from a similar issue I just left the fuse out... it's been a year and no other issues. I just know as soon as I poke the bear on this one it's going to be a wiring nightmare and ground straps for everyone 🙃😅 so I say again good luck!
lol, I placed the fuse back in so I can still use the intended accessories associated with that fuse location. Without the fuse I can’t use my rear hatch.

I simply removed the 2 light bulbs that would remain on, and now everything is good, thank God.

Last edited by raf702; 08-11-2024 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-12-2024 | 10:10 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Those lights would be controlled by switches with the doors. Unfortunately on some models there are two switches for each of the front doors.

The main switch is a pin switch on the side of the dash that contacts the door when it is closed. One of these switches being damaged or broken is the first place I'd check to look for the source of your interior lights staying on.

On models that included the factory convenience and content theft deterrent system (security) they also had a 2nd switch that is part of the door latch, that will trigger when the door handle is lifted. I'm pretty sure this wasn't available until '98+ models though?

Old 08-12-2024 | 10:24 AM
|

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
Those lights would be controlled by switches with the doors. Unfortunately on some models there are two switches for each of the front doors.

The main switch is a pin switch on the side of the dash that contacts the door when it is closed. One of these switches being damaged or broken is the first place I'd check to look for the source of your interior lights staying on.

On models that included the factory convenience and content theft deterrent system (security) they also had a 2nd switch that is part of the door latch, that will trigger when the door handle is lifted. I'm pretty sure this wasn't available until '98+ models though?
I did test all the door jam switches, both front doors and the rear hatch switch. And neither of them would turn the lights off.

Door latch switch, not sure as mine is a 1995 model.

Old 08-12-2024 | 02:55 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Did you also check the interior convenience light switch on the dash by the headlights? Perhaps the problem lies with this switch. When you roll the dimmer switch all the way one direction (up on my truck) it will turn on the interior lights.

Beyond that, you'd need to do some digging with a multimeter to ensure that all the door switches and the dash convenience switch are functioning correctly, and that there isn't something shorting out.

If you don't want to dig deeper and are happy with simply disabling the lights then that's fine as well.

I hope you have a great day!

Old 08-12-2024 | 03:32 PM
|

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
Did you also check the interior convenience light switch on the dash by the headlights? Perhaps the problem lies with this switch. When you roll the dimmer switch all the way one direction (up on my truck) it will turn on the interior lights.

Beyond that, you'd need to do some digging with a multimeter to ensure that all the door switches and the dash convenience switch are functioning correctly, and that there isn't something shorting out.

If you don't want to dig deeper and are happy with simply disabling the lights then that's fine as well.

I hope you have a great day!
I also checked the dimmer switch that didn’t resolve it either. I’d rather not dig deeper as you mentioned, I don’t have the time to check grounds, use a multi-meter, etc. Lol

And honestly I’m happily content with the lights disabled, it doesn’t affect me. Haha

I appreciate your feedback, thank you much!