2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

lighting problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 05:32 PM
idr
Beginning Member
idr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default lighting problem

Headlights won't come on. Fuse is good and all. This was my sons car for college 1996 blazer 4WD in great shape.

My son needed it, again, as his car was in for service. He called and said it would not start, dead, nada, nothing. I went down and found the negative side bolt and loosened up. Car was sitting for a while, just being started up. I put a new battery in Dec and it just sat so I figured I never tightened the cable enough and when he drove it the thing loosened up.

Anyway, when I got it running he did say the lights did not come on and before this , they did. He said he took out the fuse for his old stereo he had in there and thought thats why is was not starting, maybe shorting out. Some **** head broke in and literally ripped out his stereo but actually, have to say, they did a neat job while robbing it, now wires torn all were neatly disconnected.

I checked it when I got home and the only thing I can see is there is this blue wire going from the battery into the harness and its got a plug in inbetween the battery and where it enters the harness. When I unplug it, nothing happens, the truck still runs, now, this plug in device has two sides, one side has the plug and the other side is formed in such a way it looks like it could hold a tube like glass fuse, Could this be the problem??

ThanK yOU

Old 03-13-2006, 12:19 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: lighting problem

It could be, however that sounds like it is not a factory wire. You should trace it and see where it goes. Maybe it is shorting out, maybe it is coming off the light switch. Not sure how the radio was wired in. Unfortunately, your going to have to do some wireing searching. Check the Haynes manual for typical wiring diagrams.

Post up what you find out. I am not on every day, but will help when I can.

Old 03-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: lighting problem

Does the backlight illumination on the stereo come on or dim when turning on the headlights? If it does, then you definitely have a weird problem. If not, then it is quite possible that the illumination wire for the stereo was just tied in with the ignition wire for the stereo.

There should be an ILLUM fuse in your fuse block. I believe it is in the fuse block inside the vehicle off the drivers side end of the dash accessible with the door open. It shows as fuse 12 for my '00, but may be different for your '96.

Give that a try first, and we'll work from there if it doesn't help or just blows right away again. It is possible that when the installed the stereo, they just cut off the wires and left the stock illumination wire hang down in the dash. That would be the 2nd place I'd look if the fuse replacement doesn't solve the problem.