2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

New Vs. Rebuilt Trans

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007 | 01:56 PM
Blazer_98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Vs. Rebuilt Trans

Hi all,
New to this website, and I have already learned a lot. I am trying to make the biggest maintenance decision yet on my 98 4WD 4DR: replace the factory trans with a rebuilt or totally new transmission? I have noticed the transmission slips a little while driving at steady speed (that has been going on for some time). I replaced the transmission filter and flushed the fluid back in May. I finally got a SES light and the code read :"transmission components slipping". The 1st place that I took it to offered to replace with a new transmission for $2200, and the second offerd a rebuild for $1850. So I am leaning toward the new, as I want this truck to last me at least three more years anyway. I have already replaced the water pump, generator, front steering equipment (tie rod ends, pittman arm), accessory belt, brakes, oil lines, ect. So I have already invested quite a bit of money in this truck over the eight years that I have driven it. It has been usually reliable and has 125k (miles), and I have driven it all over Europe and the US.I am very glad to be back int the US as German Mechanics arevery expensive!Can anyone tell me the benefit of anew transmission over a rebuild?With that mileage how long can I reasonably expect her to last me?
Thanks in advance.

Old 10-22-2007 | 10:49 PM
Starting Member
blazeofglory is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: New Vs. Rebuilt Trans

First of all welcome,

New vs rebuilt,.....I have to assume that this is an automatic( 700r4 or 4L60(e) for the most part the same )
It depends on a lot of things, how long you want to keep the vehicle, how hard you use it ( off road,towing etc.) what kind of warranty you can get, etc. How much if any of the work can you do yourself ? The list goes on.
With a new transmission you get what the factory built originally (that is if it REALLY it a factory new trans) i.e. n.o.s. (new old stock) from a G.M. dealer in the factory shipping crate. Bear in mind different businesses have different terminology for the same thing. What one will refer to as a NEW transmission, another will refer to as a REBUILT, RENEW, etc. so be careful. AskLOTS of questions before laying down your hard earned money. GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING! Check out the business with the BBB etc.
In a nutshell find someone who is reputeable .
Better shops will build you a transmission complete with any number of upgrades that will correct common problems that the original transmission suffered from as built from the factory. They will also dyno test the transmission to ensure that everything is as it should be.( shifts correctly, no leaks etc. so forth and so on)
A factory N.O.S. transmission may or may not have the up grades etc.
If you are willing and or able to remove and reinstall the transmission yourself you can save some big $ These are just some of the things to think about. There are many more. It depends a lot on what you really want, as the saying goes you pay your money you make your choice.

Hope this answers some of the questions you have, if you what more info just ask and I or any number of others here will be glad to help.

Gator

Old 10-23-2007 | 01:56 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

i would deffinitly go with what has been suggested there also a brand new would and should give you the expected life without a problem a rebuilt could give you problems depending on the person doing the rebuild

Old 10-23-2007 | 02:39 AM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

or you could get a used transmission with low miles on it...neither new..or rebuilt...that's what I did with my truck...put a trannie with about 3,000 miles on it when my truck was at about 100,000miles..still going strong ..and it cost me about $650

Old 10-23-2007 | 03:32 AM
blazin97 is on a distinguished road

new-great but price
rebuilt-as long as it is rebuilt by a reputabel(sp?) shop your all good

Old 10-23-2007 | 07:12 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There are actually 3 classifications of transmissions. New, rebuilt, and remanufactured. If you are buying it new from GM, chances are it isn't really new, but remanufactured. There is very little if anything different between a reman and a new transmission.

In the case of NOS parts (typical terminology in the classic car market), no upgrades will be done to this transmission. It will be the same as the original that is in your vehicle now.

Rebuilds are typically done with your case and hard parts. Some of the hard parts can be replaced with upgraded during the rebuild process.

Now, the difference between rebuilt & remanufactured transmissions is this... Rebuilds are done all over the place. Mom & pop shops, dealerships (maybe), and quite a few other places that maybe do it 10-20 times a year. Remanufactured transmissions are built by experienced workers in a manufacturing environment where they see literally hundreds if not thousands of a particular transmission a month.

My vote would be Remanufactured!

Old 10-23-2007 | 02:29 PM
Blazer_98 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice, I will ask questions from both of the shops that I am working with. Unfortunatly I do not have the time or skill (mostly skill) to do this job myself. What kind of upgrades would I consider on the automatic transmission if I went with the rebuild? I haven't towed in over five years, and the only off roading I do is go down some dirt roads to get at deer stands or fishing spots. It handled snow and rain okay in Germany, but I'm back in the states now and Atlanta has pretty wimpy winter weather. Mostly my truck runs on the highway and hauls tools and stuff around town. I never noticed any problems with the transmission before. I mean, yeah, its slow, but that not the transmission's fault! Its a truck made for hauling stuff.

Old 10-23-2007 | 02:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Upgraded hard parts such as the revised reaction sun shell that is often the cause of many a 4L60E destruction. As many clutches as can be installed (v8 specs). Um... Well those two would be at the top of the list. There are many more such as a Corvette Servo, some other hydraulic improvements in the apply pistons, shift kit, etc. A good place to check out for the available upgrades would be MonsterTrans.com or their 4L60E parts cataloge should give you a taste of whats available.