2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Nightmare awaits:icon_bricks:

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2024 | 12:48 PM
|
Beginning Member
mugenmundo is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Nightmare awaits:icon_bricks:

So a couple of weeks ago I heard a dump and squeaking sound coming from the rear of the truck. I assumed a shock was blown. I did a half a** diagnosis and bounced the rear of the truck a couple of times and definitely had squeaks coming from the movement. I was sure my original 75k old belstiens shocks were shot. But after doing a proper diagnosis, I came to the conclusion I have broken shackle on the driver rear. I wish the shocks were the problem 350 bucks to replace, but they're easy. Shackle is 20 bucks but will cost half my soul. I have been putting off for about 2 weeks, and I'm not looking forward to it. This is my daily driver, and I am not confident I can get it done in a weekend. To make things worst I have a 2 door, so the gas tank is in the way I believe. Please tell me this is not so. Has any brave soul attempted to replace their 2 door shackles and lived to share their experience. Dare I even mention the possibility I might have to replace the upper shackle bushing. It's the one on the frame of the truck where the shackle mounts too.

Old 07-08-2024 | 06:11 PM
Beginning Member
mrgaskill is on a distinguished road

Im the last person to get advice from with all the gurus on here. But, seeing the damage, cut that cancer out and rebuild. Do your homework and do it intensively and it won't cost that much. Go to a mechanic and well, there goes your rent payment. Not sure of your mechanical aptitude but I suspect you can do this yourself at a fraction of cost. Do you have courage with this type of repair? That's the bottom line. There's a lot of considerations here. Research hard, and you can do it. Courage mate. Get on with it.

Old 07-08-2024 | 08:40 PM
|
Beginning Member
Red face

Yes, I'm postponing the inevitable.

Old 07-08-2024 | 09:10 PM
Beginning Member
Riganutz is on a distinguished road

Yes sir! I did mine a month or so ago. I went with the 2.5/3" rough country it went well enough. I did the back in a matter of 3hrs. It was a fight with the rust and crap that had built up for 20+ yrs. I used a bolt heater and that thing was a game changer for sure. Everything came apart way easy after the heater! I did the whole lift before dinner so it's doable. I was prepared had the right tools and preplanned everything before and panther pissed everything for days before starting. If your staying stock look into a plus 1" shackle it will take care of the saggy bulldog look. Peace ✌🏻

Old 07-08-2024 | 09:30 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Good advice by Riganutz. I would also plan on changing the other side at the same time, as I would expect it to fail sometime sooner than later. I did mine a number of years back and had no problems. Then again, mine weren't bad, I just swapped them for 2" lift shackles. And they were no where close to the one in the pic. I did have to remove the "shield" covering the gas tank to get the upper bolts out though. If you use a torch to cut them off, you won't have to do that part.

Old 07-09-2024 | 07:01 AM
|
Beginning Member

I would say the other side has a few days more, what do you guys think.

Old 07-09-2024 | 06:37 PM
Beginning Member

Bro, you GOT this. If you have jack stands, good grease, and good tools, you can knock this out. I understand the concern of daily driver. I deal with it myself. I have a backup Ford F-150, but that's $1000 to get it running good again. I understand the worry of the daily driver. I can't give alot of mechanical advice, I don't have it, but trust in yourself, and make it happen. Even for 3-4 days hypothetical, your vehicle is down, you have to get to work, you can do it with Lyft or Uber.

I struggle with the same worries as yourself. My blazer is my DD. If you want this vehicle long term, get on with it, or find some local with Chevy experience to help. We're both in the same shoes!! Next big bang theory that occurs with my Heather, I'm going full Rambo, and fixing it. There's too much knowledge on the internet not to do it. When I bought Heather, I spent a $1000 on tools I just didn't have. I have them now. Go full Rambo. If you can't, find a schooled person (like on here) to help, and give the middle finger to the repair shops.

Wishing you the utmost best brother. Make it happen!!! <3

Old 07-10-2024 | 06:45 AM
|
Beginning Member

Thanks for your support guys! Im going to need every ounce of courage for this one. I have been doing, as you advised, reading up on the matter. Seems straight forward. Looks like I will have to remove the leaf springs on this job. Once the leaf springs are out should be a matter of pounding the bushings out. I have all the basic tools required for the job but looks like the easiest way to push out the frame busing is to use a special ball joint press/puller. I will run down to auto parts store and try to loan out a set. Now for the crux of a problem, will the giant ball joint press fit between the gas tank and frame beam. I know this not an issue with the 4 doors because the tire can easily be dropped, therefore giving ample room for working. However, in the 2 door model, the gas tank takes the place of the spare tire. Once I get the rental tool, I will test the clearance of the tool. If it fits this should be half the battle otherwise I'm going have to "caveman" this and wield the power of fire and iron to pop those bushings out. All this while being laying on my back in a 90deg garage. oh boi.

Old 07-10-2024 | 08:55 PM
Beginning Member

Hermano, no soy alguien que dé consejos mecánicos. Soy bastante estúpido con eso. Con confianza en el Señor, tenéis esta reparación hecha. Puede que sea doloroso, pero vale la pena. Mantén la cabeza en alto, sigue y sigue. Dios te bendiga hermano.

If I had the means I would help free of charge. This is dificul, yo se. You’re going to win this battle hermano. En Dios confiamos.