Lifting Tech This section is for suspension questions related to increasing the ride height of your vehicle.

shackle lift

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 09:18 PM
acidwarning is on a distinguished road
Default shackle lift

hi i found this kit for a shackle lift at a parts store close to my place, its only 20$ i wanted to know if this is any good, thanks, also do you need anything else to extend the shocks or something? thanks

Old 08-23-2010, 10:05 PM
CNYCountryKidd is on a distinguished road

Noooooo. Don't buy the cheap lifts like that, they aren't designed to handle much use at all. Best case scenario when it fails is you slam on the brakes and come to a screeching stop when your *** end hits the ground

Look for machined shackles from people like 3leaffab. They have some pretty good ones, a lot of the guys here including myself have a set. As far as shocks your stock ones will do just fine. make sure you disconnect them when you put the shackles on though, makes it much easier to align the bolt holes. And depending on age/rust, look into new leaf spring bushings. Might be a PITA to change, but 3 of mine went bad when me and my buddy were putting my shackles in.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:27 PM
pj5454302 will become famous soon enough

I have a set on my truck and I welded a suport in and they work just fine.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:06 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I have them too and they work fine

Old 08-24-2010, 06:35 AM
pj5454302 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by acidwarning
hi i found this kit for a shackle lift at a parts store close to my place, its only 20$ i wanted to know if this is any good, thanks, also do you need anything else to extend the shocks or something? thanks
You will need to drill the holes bigger and probobly get new bolts. Usualy the stock ones get destroyed. And as long as you only go to the middle hole they should not be tipy.(about 3in of lift) And have a friend that can weld weld in a support when your done. Also I did need longer shocks at the back with my shackles. You can get zr2 rear shocks, or shocks from a 88-98 fullsize 4x4 chev truck.( replaced my blazer air shocks with ones for a 90 fullsize pickup, about 3-4in longer than stock)

Old 08-24-2010, 08:05 PM
CNYCountryKidd is on a distinguished road

Regardless of how many people have the cheap shackles, they still won't last as long as a good machined pair no matter what you do to them. It's simple logic there. It's up to you how much you spend on them in the end, however.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:53 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by CNYCountryKidd
Regardless of how many people have the cheap shackles, they still won't last as long as a good machined pair no matter what you do to them. It's simple logic there. It's up to you how much you spend on them in the end, however.
I have to agree with the Kidd, you may do just fine with those for a while until they fail. It could be today it could be in years but then you will have to do them again. I would go with pay a little more now or possibly pay to do it all over again. I am not saying to anybody on here that you are going to have a problem and may not. But, the way I look at it is it is all a law of averages pay more get more, payless get what you pay for. I am not showing hate it is just my personal opinion.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:10 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I have had to replace my bolts several times and the highway ride isn't that great I don't think I would recommend them either... but they do work

Old 08-25-2010, 11:55 AM
acidwarning is on a distinguished road

thanks guys, i think ill wait for something else...not always easy finding stuff here with decent shipping though since im in canada and my speed shop only found ones for jeeps not blazers