2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:48 PM
Beginning Member
TriBlaKer is on a distinguished road
Default is this normal?

There is no cat on my truck. It's a 98 I bought it used. I don't have to worry about emissions being in Michigan and all. I'm just wondering cause my truck is throwing the whole cat is clogge code.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There is no code specifically for a clogged catalytic converter... If you would like assistance with the code you are referring to, it would help if you were to post the actual code. More than likely, the code is a result of the missing catalytic converter.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Beginning Member

That's what I'd imagine. I'm pretty surrenders the code was p420, something like that.

Old 05-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1) would be what I would expect if the catalytic converter was missing.

Considering that federal law requires a catalytic converter in on-road vehicles... It really doesn't matter if you do not have emissions inspections in your state yet.

If this were an off-road only truck, you could A) have this code and all codes pertaining to the B1S2/B1S3 sensors removed (via programming) from the PCM, B) install a universal $50 catalytic converter, or C) try a sparkplug spacer and see if it gets the O2 sensor out of the exhaust stream enough.

Old 05-24-2011, 02:15 PM
Beginning Member

Well I discovered this one day since I was just thinking about getting a high flow cat and a nice exhaust. When I looked I was bewildered. I asked a friend to look who owns a 95? S10 and he reacted the same way. Would putting a high flow cat and new o2 sensors resolve this?

Old 05-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Administrator

You might not even have to replace the O2 sensor since the code does not specifically call out an O2 sensor as the issue. I would recommend a replacement catalytic converter (universal fits are cheaper, but would require welding in for best practices to be followed).

Old 05-24-2011, 02:21 PM
Beginning Member

Yeah. But with as much money I have into the truck I figure I might as well shell out the extra money for a nicer sound and better performance.